40s - Week of 5/3/2010

fitover40

Cathlete
Hey ladies, getting us started for the week, hope everyone had a nice weekend. Went out to dinner Friday night with DH (DS was at an AP Camp), had a nice dinner and probably blew my diet a bit. :(

Sat I did CTX UB, and Sun I did Chalean Fat Burn Challenge workout--it was very similar to one of Cathe's HIITs. Today, monday, I ran for almost an hour 5 miles and I plan to go home and do Chalean Push circuit (DH is out of town and DS is working so since I have NO reason to work more than 7 hours today I thought I'd throw in another workout).

I found a fun zip-line course in southern Colorado that I think DH and I will do in Sept once both boys are set in college. It's a bit much money, but heck, have fun while we can, right? I'll have to dig up the URL when I get home and post it for you all to see, it looks fun.

Hope everyones Monday is off to a good start!

Lisa I cannot believe your energy. What are you on? I did Travel Fit Saturday, took Sunday off and cut STS Kickbox short for today. I am going to use the kids as an excuse but honestly, even if they were older, I don't think I could do what you do. Please send me some energy vibes!!!!

Hi to all who follow.

Murphy

Me too!

Lisa, I need your energy this week! I'm really dragging... we had heavy storms roll through last night and that woke me up -- repeatedly.

Still, I dragged myself out of bed and did Step Blast ("This is a blast, so act like you're having one!" That was a tall order for me!).

Lisa, thanks for the detailed info on your job. I don't know most of what it means, but the bottom line is you're good with computers -- mainframes. When I worked at New York Times Magazine Group, we had a huge mainframe system set up in our office building. A couple of guys worked in this hermetically sealed, climate-controlled room doing who-knows-what all day. I guess you would know what they did.

Murphy, it gets easier when the kids get older -- honest! And it goes by quickly, too. Saturday night we attended our son's graduation (from Middle School) dinner and ceremony. He was one of four chosen to read his essay about what the school meant to him. It was very touching.

History: He was kicked out of kindergarten at a different private school because his learning issues made it impossible for them -- and for him. This school took him into first grade (even though he'd only had a few months of kindergarten) and got him up to speed. We've had a few rocky times since, but they've worked with him.

Sometimes it feels like they'll be little (and a ton of work) forever, but then it gets better. Of course, teen years are ahead of us still.... Anyway, he starts Pre-Upper (7th/8th grade) next year.

Well, I'm blabbing on while I should be working. Hi to everybody! I'll check in later!

Energy? I think it's just a way for me to keep my body occupied and therefore my mind so I don't think too much on losing Maddy. It's still been tough for me but I'm trying not to drag everyone down with me and at the same time keep myself up as much as possible. I emailed a friend yesterday for some support and she basically blasted me for putting myself before Maddy and that she was happy I FINALLY put Maddy first. Ugh, not what I needed, nor do I think I ever kept Maddy around just for me (she was happy until those last couple weeks). Anyway.......

Not sure I ever told you all (forgive me if I have already) about my DH coming into my work place and me introducing him around. So, I introduced him to coworkers, then since my IBM mgr is right there, I introduced him and said "this is the guy you can thank for bringing me back". Then, my old IBM mgr (the one that laid me off) was sitting right there so I thought I better introduce him, so I started the introductions and then she blurted out " and I'm the one that laid her off" ---I couldn't believe it. Needless to say DH wasn't very impressed.

My youngest graduates high school 5/22. I've been lucky, my kids have been good teenagers. I must have done something right. Sure I had to stay on top of things to make sure they stayed on course, but even with that, I know they could have taken a wrong turn. As my son's friends have turned to the wrong side, my DS has dropped them as friends, all on his own. Maybe the values we've taught them sunk in, huh?

It's amazing how some schools can pass kids through. My sister-in-law told me stories of the CA schools and how they blamed HER for her adopted son's issues that she was blowing things out of proportion. That adopted kid is now in a mental hospital hopefully getting the help he needs, but so far doesn't look good --- 14 yrs old with so many emotional problems from being in an orphanage that they say he is more like 3.

Geez, when I put things like that I know how lucky and blessed I am, and I'm truely thankful......

Hi girls! Everyone is busy here! Was MIA at the end of last week, woke up in the middle of the night, thought I was having a hot flash, thought to myself, this is no hot flash! Needless to say, I did lose 6 lbs in 24 hrs! Must have been something I ate?! Thank goodness no one else got sick. Today I did the Gauntlet, or rather it did me! Just a little too long for me. Kathryn, our twins are staring 7th grade in the fall too, They went on a field trip to see it today, I am excited to hear about how it went. You must be so proud of your son! Lisa, zip-lining sounds like fun, I have never tried it. I'm sorry about your friend. Murphy, it does get so much easier physically, they won't be so demanding, emotionally it changes a lot! They have lots more ideas of their own, sometimes they don't listen to your ideas! We all need to learn on our own tho. It is hard to let them go, since we just want to keep them safe. Well, I am rambling! have a good day everyone. Hi to you Ronne. Mary

Happy Tuesday! I woke up waaaay before the alarm clock today. I didn't manage to get Chalean Push Circuit 1 done yesterday( DS was playing some game on the TV in that room), so I did that this morning along with Chalean Fat burn Challenge (each is 30 min). I do have to say I don't feel like I've lifted weights after doing her circuits. I finally dug out my more lightweight band and tied it looser than I do for firewalkers and did her plyo jumping jacks with the band on and then a plyo jump with leg abduction. WOWZER...my thighs were burning and I used the band that is less hard and tied looser than I do for firewalkers! My glutes and hamstrings are sore from running yesterday so I didn't put my all into it....still sweated though! :)
Mary, we did miss you last week! You poor dear with your illness. The one thing I hate is stomach illnesses! They are the worst!
Murphy, kids are always keeping you on your toes, just as you seem to master a stage, boom, here comes the next one. Enjoy them while you can. I used to look forward to having an empty nest, but right now it's just lonely! Another adjustment period I'm trying to embrace. I hate change though!
Better run for now....I plan to do some abs when I get home, but that's it! This body is TIRED!
BTW, I was sooooooooooooo bored at work yesterday, it's hard to make yourself look busy. I don't want to surf too much as my screen is very visible so I type in my notes in our email tool (so it looks like I'm writing work notes) and then I paste quickly into Catheland. So if my status is harder to read, I'm sorry!

Thank you everyone for all the advice regarding the little ones. I am trying to remember that things will get better or less crazy I should say. In fact, I got some sleep last night. I did not know what to do with myself when I woke up on my own this morning and actually had a smidgen of energy. I cannot talk about it too much, don't want to jinx anything!

Lisa - sorry to hear about your friend and the Maddy comment. Take all the time you need and feel free to "bring us down", we are here for you.

Murphy

Hi everyone! Today was MMA Boxing, I don't know why I like that one so much, probably because it is simple enough for my brain! Also had to mow the grass... again! That counts as cardio, right? Holy cow Lisa! You did a lot in the middle of the night! What time do you go to bed? Hi to you Murphy! I always remember this saying when the kids are driving me insane, The days are long, the years fly by. It has helped me many a time. Hi to you Ronne and Kathryn! Well, I will be gone the rest of the week. My surgery is tomorrow. I will try and let you know how it went! Have a good week everyone! Talk to you later. Mary

Mary, good luck with your surgery!

Also, here is that link on the zipline in colorado. http://www.soaringcanopytours.com/

Murphy, You all are the greatest with letting me share my sadness and never judging. There's a reason for this crazy path my life is on, wish I knew the reason why things are the way they are....trying to keep the faith. Maddy's passing has brought up all the hurt I felt when my Mom (and Dad 2 mths later) passed 7 yrs ago....that's something I've read happens. And let me just say....sometimes life really sucks! There, I feel better now :)

Hi everyone

Mary - you poor thing! Sounds horrible. I've got my fingers crossed for the surgery, hope it all goes well. Come back and let us know, when you can.

Lisa - like you say, you must have done something right to get your kids to where they are now. Give yourself (and DH ;)) a big pat on the back.
Sometimes you've just got to be sad, there's nothing wrong with that. It would be odd if you weren't. Life isn't happy all the time and it's fine to acknowledge that.
Just checked out that ziplining thing, no thanks!! I'd be terrified!

Murphy - glad to hear you're up and about again - I won't say too much :p

Kathryn - sending a bit of energy your way, hope you've managed to find some :)

I didn't get any workouts in at the weekend with my parents here. Had a nice weekend tho', despite the fact that the temperature dropped 10 degrees and we've put the heating back on!!
Yesterday I did Slim & lean which made a nice change and today is KM (I'm not doing the leg conditioning drills tho' to save a bit of time). Haven't done that one for months.

Bye for now

Hump Day! I feel a bit better today, got a good cry in with DH last night.....I think it's been a bit worse for me dealing with things because Monday was my Mom's birthday and Tuesday was 1 yr ago that we brought Maddy home from the hospital after her kidney diagnosis. So, just lots of emotions swirling around. Plus I got in a Cathe fix (I've been doing Chalean and Cathe can really bring you up....what a great quality!). I did MMA kickbox...wanted something a bit easy, my glutes are sore. I plan to go home tonight and do Chalean Push Circuit 2. I'm really tired when I get home (sitting all day will do that to you), but since no one is there I have to keep myself busy and active. Plus my pants are fitting tight today...grrrrr.... I'm running up the 4 flights of steps about 4 times a day.....so what if I'm breathless walking into the room, right?

Ronne, we had a cold spell too and I had to turn on the heat for a bit Saturday morning. Yesterday the wind was awful! Typical for this location...winds blow down off the mountains...chinooks they call them.
Mary, my thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery! I go to bed around 9:00 and am normally asleep 5 min later! I've always gotten up early, so 5:45 to get up isn't bad and I'm learning not to putter around! Thankfully I have no kids to get ready in the morning!

Kathryn, How are you doing? How's the boss man? Chalean says that it takes taller people longer to get down to the ground for burpees, etc.....maybe that's our problem? I'm only 5'5" but still a bit taller than Cathe and crew. Hey, it's an excuse and I'm using it!

Murphy, sending energy vibes your way! You're the youngster here so you should be the most energetic of all of us! :) Those little ones can zap it though! lots of work!

Just a pop-in to say hello. I am feeling good, for me! Have any of you tried LaLo Fit? It is okay. I thought I would get a break from the strenuous stuff. Hi to all who follow. Mary - said a prayer for your surgery and recovery.
Murphy

Morning everyone. I just finished the MMA boxing. Has anyone tried the Heavy Bag bonus yet? I don't have the heavy bag but could pretend. Is it worth trying? Sorry for the lack of personals, DH was "sawing wood" from 2am to 4am. I kept telling him to roll over or etc but it did not matter. I finally drfit off to sleep and the alarm goes off at 4:45am! Between the kids and his snoring it should be clear to me why I am always tired. And just think, I don't drink coffee or tea (unless sick) or soda (unless sick and then ginger ale), so I have no pick-me-up's - outside of the exercise-high.

Murphy

hello

quiet round here ...

Murphy - I'm so glad my DH doesn't snore. It would be separate rooms otherwise! :p No, I haven't tried the bonus (I don't have a bag). I haven't even looked at it. There's one on an Amy Bento Kickbox DVD and I do that without the bag and it's absolutely fine.

Lisa - when are you having a rest day, superwoman?

Well I did get around to KM in the end yesterday. We're having a wall rebuilt at the front of our house and I'm waiting till the end of the day to exercise as I don't want to get caught! DD joined in with me for some of the combos at the end which was great fun! Today is a BM2 premix of some kind, I just want to do the UB and blasts.

Bye for now.

OK, who took my energy?!?!?!?! I woke up 2 min before the alarm clock but I had slept sooooo well, I was disoriented and wondered what time it was, could I have slept through the alarm? Nope, it went off, then my eyes were bleary I could hardly read my personal email while I drank a cup of java. By that time my workout time was dwindling...so thought it'd be best to do a short 45 min run, got to 1 mile and said, nope this isn't what a want or have energy for and I was really wanting to do HIS, so off I went to do it. Was hard since energy was lagging. I think it's because I needed more than coffee in my system! I always have a protein shake before weights but here lately trying to cardio on empty stomach.....sometimes it works (like if I pigged out night before) but if I've been spot on on my diet, it's too hard, so I'll have to drink up a protein/greens first shake. Another reason I could be tired is I have 2 of the girls here doing the steps with me.....we run up them about 4 times a day. Sometimes you get a crowd on the stairs so we have to restrain ourselves. Did I mention that these girls are at least 10, maybe 15 years younger than me?!?!?!?!?!

Ronne, don't you hate it when something interferes with your schedule? That is so cool about DD working out with you. You are the super woman doing just blasts sometimes....I still have yet to try those type of premixes.

Murphy, you get up an hour earlier than I do! My DH snores sometimes too, it's very irritating when you are laying there wide awake and they are sawing logs! Mary and I both have done the heavy bag workout with wrist weights (or weighted gloves). It's good ,try it!

DH comes home today, yea! I stayed uber busy yesterday which is good to keep my mind occupied. I did go home and do Chalean Push Circuit2---this one is mostly shoulders, she likes to work shoulders and I can say with her workouts I DO FEEL that the shoulders have been worked even if it was only a 30 min workout. Also my biceps where sore too after circuit 1. I like her workouts, but when you need personality and fun, it's gotta be Cathe.

Oh and let me say it's quiet around here because Kathryn isn't here.....where are you Kathryn??????? HELLoooooooooooo

Lisa - sometimes you just can't get the energy together (no, surprise with no food!), altho' I know you can't exercise on a full breakfast ;)

Election results here today, all a bit flat really but I like the fact there isn't an overall majority, should make things interesting. Did 60mins of ASC3 today and worked up a good sweat. I really like that one, it always makes me smile.

I'm going to a piano recital tomorrow evening (ooh, I'm so cultured!). DH is away tonight so it's just me and DD, might watch a film together. Hope everyone has a great weekend (even if it's on crutches, Mary :().

Ronne, of course you are cultured, you are in EUROPE!!!! Doesn't that automatically qualify you?

Quick post....still not much energy, so puttered around this morning, watching and wondering what the heck will happen with the stock market, sigh. finally made it to workout and did chalean push circuit 3. thankfully got motivated once I started working out.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hello everybody here

I am well over forty, and I just started working out again after a long hiatus. I used to be an aerobic nut, and I ran the NYC Marathon when I was 41. Last week I began doing cardio at my own pace, and my first workout was ten minutes. After adding five minutes each time, I am now up to forty minutes.

My resting heart rate is now very high, and I know it is going to take at least four to six weeks before I see any results. I am doing cardio every other day, mixing it up with Yoga and stretch workouts.

Hi everyone,

I started to do the heavy bag bonus workout but did not want to do all that moving around. So, what did I do instead, a Wii workout with lots of running, squats, punches and etc. It would have been easier to do the heavy bag workout! Anyway, I felt good after I did it. Have a bearable weekend everyone and welcome aboard to CDPotier.

Murphy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.