40's, July Firecrackers

Murphy

Cathlete
Hi all. I did not see a thread so I started one. I have not started a thread in a long, long time. Anyway, I tried PiYo today, the core one. I was sort on time and initial put in the instructional dvd. That ate up a lot of time before I decided to change. It was okay. I rented some others from that series so I will give them a try before I decide how I really like it.

Have a great day and waves to all.

Murphy

Hello

Murphy - thanks for getting us started. What's PiYo?

Jody - are you expecting some more shifts?

Lisa - sounds like a good combo workout! It's the World Cup at the moment (and the USA were in it!).

Forgot to say I did C&W yesterday. Did yoga today, had an attempt at headstand! Not too bad (against a wall of course).
Taking DD to orthodontist this pm, usual check-up. Then going to a neighbour's for an outdoor film screening this evening! Should be fun.

Wow, Ronne, that movie thing sounds fun! I actually watched part of a match yesterday morning while folding clothes (I have plenty of laundry, Lisa, keep yours, I have my own back log! Do you do the entire household's?) Murphy, I'm interested in how you like PIYO (the new Chalean, its a combo yoga and plyo? what does the Pi stand for?). I did BBL Bum Bum and then BG floor work w/ wts and some of the other BG bonuses to replace XT legs this week. More because I wanted to try Bum Bum than avoiding XT Legs (although the rotation calls for an 80 min premix, ick). Is there a penalty for excessive parenthesis (if there is should I get one today)?

It was a beautiful morning here today (65F, nice breeze) so I took a longer walk with the dogs, 3.35 miles, I finished my workshop type pilates reformer for 30 min, the 2nd part dealt more with teaser on the reformer, I am quite pleased how well my teaser is coming along, then added on 4DS BC cardio only. Really trying to get some burn in! Not only do I have the DBRT, but I realized my 50th is only 1.5 mths away, and supposedly my brother I haven't seen in over a decade is planning some celebration here and my siblings and I will all be together again (1st time since parents passed 12 yrs ago--yes they both passed within a mth of each other). Since that time the sibs have been squabbling, etc, so happy if it's my 50th that brings us all together.

Jody, oh no I only do DH and my laundry! It's enough that I do the cleaning of the kitchen and family room area (their dog sheds in our family room because she's always where Suki is). DIL was so proud of herself, while we were in KS, she vacuumed the family room (really that's only 1 8x10 and 1 3x5 rug) and one small bedroom and she wiped off the bar area of the counter. In one year of living here that's what she's done for helping with the common areas and she only vacuumed because they brushed their dog in the family and had fur everywhere (I know because I had to pick up the clumps of hair that migrated across the hardwood floors to the corners or under a decorative table. Thankfully her new job started and she's been working 40 hrs a week, no more sleeping in until 11 for her! <insert evil laugh>

Murphy, DH got tired of me talking about how much I wanted Piyo so he said to just get it, so I ordered it a couple days ago, hope I'm not disappointed!

Jody, Piyo is pilates/yoga

Ronne, I'm trying to do more combos, and not hit any area too hard (except for legs). I've reflected on what you said about accepting this is how it is, and realized that you may be right. The massage therapist had said when I first went to her that the vertebra that was fused, those muscles that come off of them in the neck no longer work so I have more load on the other ones. I then said, does that mean I'll only be able to lift 1/2 as heavy (you have 7 vertebra and I have 3 fused), and she said the infamous response you love to hear in the medical community "It depends". That goes in line with what Murphy hears too :) This whole process is a bit like grief, maybe I'm finally getting thru the last stage :) It sure seems I've circled back and forth between many of the stages. WOW, a headstand? I sure would like to get more movement in my lower back (like for backbend), maybe once my sis and I have our private pilates session, in the meantime, any recommendations? Where you into gymnastics like DD? You certainly seem to be the one that does the more flexible things!

Hi ladies

Lisa - Wow, that would be quite a reunion! Has DIL never offered to do anything? Perhaps she's scared of you!! :p No, I was a completely unsporty girl and teenager. By the time I got to my late teens, I would try and skip PE at school completely! I've always had flexible hamstrings. I have been doing yoga on and off for nearly twenty years now which might have helped. DD's got all her sporting genes from her dad!

Jody - I never did that premix when it came up in the rotation, just too long! Shame about the USA getting knocked out last night. They played really well, best match of this round.

Had a nice evening. We had some mulled wine and sat with blankets over us. My neighbour put a sheet up on her wall and we projected the film on to it. It was great!
Another beautiful sunny day here. Did KCM Plateau Buster, the premix that does a round of each.
Going for a mammogram, my first, this pm. Woo hoo!

I did another from the PiYo workouts. It was okay. I am just not a fan of Chalene's. If I liked her, I would probably really like the series. I can feel it and my heartrate is up. I am just not into her. ??? I think I put some KCM's on the list. Oh and some T Shaun (Insantiy) stuff. We'll see how it goes.

Murphy

Murphy, that is disappointing when you are trying to get in your workout and the one you choose doesn't get you off (pardon my lack of finesse) for whatever reason.

Ronne have fun with your mammo. They have us do them here starting at age 40? But I think the recommendations for screening have changed. Murphy, what is your perspective on them?
Ronne, your evening sounded like romantic, but as it applies to family, friends and community. What would that be? Idyllic? Charming? IDK but it makes me want to move to GB!

Lisa, 65 and breezy is cold to me! I don't miss the doggy hair tumbleweeds but do miss my dogs. I bet DIL is happy she is working more, too. You are good at dates and time. I can barely remember how long my marriages were.

I had to get new pants b/c the 4's 6's and 8's from NYandCo were all too small. So yesterday I went to Macy's and found some dress pants and a soft jacket (on sale!) and top (not on sale) for interviews. I am starting to apply in other places and I have an interview next week. I love Macy's and when I go there I want everything I see. Srsly, I'm like OOoh bras! Ooh, dresses! Look, Clinique! There's jewelry! And Shooooooes! And kitchen stuff! And sheets!

Workout= AOLIH (reduced by 5 min), XT BS BI and Tri (reduced), and Scarecrows challenge then came back and did KCM L2BF arms and abs pm (also reduced)

I walked the dogs 3.25 miles (this will be the last longish walk, as it turns to 90's again after today). I then did 30 min of horizontal jumping (aka, jumpboard on the reformer).

Ronne, That evening sounds fun! I had my first mammo at 38ish or so, to get a baseline, back then (wow was it that long ago?) lots of false positives came back and I had to pay more $$$ for ultrasound to prove there was nothing, that happened about 3x and I ditched the mammos for awhile (the stress and $$$ wasn't worth it--to me), then gyn said the new ones have less false positives, and what do you know, NO FALSE positive. I am overdue for one, maybe next yr :) I can only tackle so many health things at once (I'm going to be an awful old person, I do not want my days filled with dr appts!).

Jody, I'm good at remembering random useless info that deals with numbers, go figure. I remember my 1st work phone number and my old FL license plate number. It's the things I want to remember that I can't! I hope job hunting goes well.

Murphy, I don't dislike Chalean. I didn't like CLX, but Turbofire I liked, I hope I like the Piyo (even if I don't I'll have to make like I like them since DH knows about them). I've never been an Insanity person, but I seem to remember you like more bootcampy/athlete w/o's. I like more dancey (though I seriously know I look like a fool!)

Hope Mary is having fun at the lake!

Hello

Lisa - here mammos are done every 3 years between 50 & 70. They're doing a research study into the benefits of doing them 3 years either side of that and I got picked at random. It was an interesting experience!

Jody - we're really lucky in that we live on a nice street with good neighbours, not many places like it! It's good that you're looking for other stuff and getting interviews.

CB today. I've decided to do mainly circuit workouts and yoga for the next few weeks. It's just what I feel like.
With all this sunny weather, I just don't feel like working at the moment. I'd never earn a penny if I lived in Florida, Jody!

I had quite an interesting walk with the dogs today, ran into a SNAKE! I proved that I can still run! :D It felt good running....I ran only to the end of the ditch, no more ditch walks for me! The walk was cut short (I was going to walk the other side of the ditch but instead headed home), only 2.25 miles, then did AOLI, then 50 min intermed pilates reformer (Courtney on PA), it was good! I worked only one side at a time, you really had to work to stabilize yourself!

Ronne, I was the one in school that was picked next to last for any teams :confused: I got started in working out at 18ish when I joined a gym, I really was there to workout but it was fun finding guys :) I'm trying to do my dog walks, a little cardio (30-40 min), some pilates (30-45 min) each day. I'm not dwelling on weights, yay me :)

Oh, so, I told myself I wouldn't complain anymore about pain on here. And I didn't complain yesterday, I hurt so bad in neck to top of shoulder. Couldn't figure out WTH happened I'd been so careful. I cut back some working out yesterday (and ate a burger out with DH), I scoured the internet for muscle info, if I could figure out how all the muscles interplay with everything else maybe I can figure out WTH I did. I found this site on how to relieve your pain, OMG, INSTANT RELIEF! And the problem was in my left neck/skull area, but I felt the pain in neck to top of shoulder. The site has other pain areas too, I will turn to it in the hopes that should I find myself hurting again somewhere maybe I can fix it instead of being miserable (I was pretty grumpy by end of day yesterday with living with the pain for a day). So looking back, what did I do to cause this? Well, I was wearing that dumb bone stimulator while i watched TV, I couldn't get comfie with it (sometimes that happens, must be when other areas are tight). So I think I held my neck in a weird way and that caused the left skull/neck muscle to tighten up and clamp down on a nerve. That area is a little tender (like it got a good massage) today, but I think I'll use this sites tactics to keep anything from becoming a bigger problem like it did this time.

Last edited:
Ronne, it was a nice day, you would have played hooky if you were here. Thundery this afternoon but prob won't actually rain. I'd go to beach but I avoid such places on holiday weekends. I like the circuit idea. I'm loosely sticking w/ XT rotation for now, but my back up is the Cathe metabolic w/o mixed w/ my faves.

Lisa, I'm glad you found something that may help you with the pain and also that you are avoiding wts if that is the thing that is triggering it. It did seem to me that when you were doing the reformer and massages you were having less trouble but maybe you were just not saying anything.

Murphy, did you try anymore PIYO?

Which Tonique doe Mary have and use?

DD brought home a 4ft python and got new hair cut where she shaved half her head. It looks cute on her. I did LIC, just the cardio step. Tomorrow is CLB

Last edited:
Hi everyone

Jody - It's probably like I try to avoid the centre of town in the summer as it's jammed with EFL students and tourists! Girl or boy python? Name? That sounds like a nice haircut!

Lisa - you're getting good results with the pilates, walking etc. so don't worry about the weights.

Up at 5.30 this morning to see DD off on her school trip to Paris. Their coach was delayed by a traffic accident so they set off 3.5 hours late! She's not back till Mon evening. DH and I are going to the seaside tomorrow till Mon for a family party.
Did yoga today, worked my legs pretty hard, lots of balances.
Have a good weekend everyone and I'll be back on Tues.

Ronne, good job on the workout. Enjoy your weekend. I hope dd has a lovely trip despite the initial delay.
I did BM original without the upper body work to sub for XT CLB. I even did the hr check. I was in the upper range of 85 percent for my age even after walking around a bit. The pace on that workout is a bit frantic!
Oh and the python's name is Monty. She want's to change it since it must be so common, but he's had it for 10 years so she might not. I don't think it matters to him.

Last edited:
quick checkin, LBB done

Jody, a python? :eek: Hope he doesn't make his way into your luggage for DB RT :) Yes, you are correct, pilates didn't make me hurt as bad. I really think it may be the bicep work causing most of the neck work (amazingly you use it a lot, even when you are conscience to not to). And yes, I figure last time around it took about 2 hrs a day (for about 5 days a week) to drop the lbs.

Ronne, I think I freaked after signing up for DBRT that I thought I had to conquer Cathe. Maybe once the muscles heal more I'll try again (probably after DBRT) and see how it goes and try to remember all I've learned :rolleyes:. The best way I can describe when I overdue it is like having a cramp in your neck like in your hamstring that won't stop. Wow, DD is so lucky to go to Paris (I'm sure it's not as extravagant the trip as from the USA), but you and DH get a quiet weekend, enjoy!

I did LICh today, I still remembered the combos after all this time of not doing it. I did Jody's version of T-Rex arms as my left arm is still not strong for swinging, especially in circles, so I'm babying it and not feeling guilty :) I then took a walk for only 1.25 miles with the dogs--hot and muggy!

hope all is out enjoying the weekend!

Saturday: Lisa I need to learn LICH next. It was hot and muggy here too.
I ordered a few things from TF why IDK I'm crazy.
MIC just the step part done (30 min) and XTBS BiTriCore1.

Sunday: Hello there, I did XT Legs, Mary's fave? I liked it, too today. I did the workout without the Barre section and added ankle wts to the floor section but skipped the Clams. Ronne are you catching anymore Wimbleton? Dd watching this morning. I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Last edited:
Hot here! 82 at 9am, ugh, only walked dogs 1.5 miles, then did RK, I've only done that one once before, I got into it (until the combos at the end, Jody you would have YAWNed), but the music is jamming. Then played the heavy bag bonus while I did my extra stretching, talk about jamming music, I'm going to have to try that one sans bag one did when I need just a burst of cardio. Jody, I got my steps in right at the end of RK, woot! This fitbit (and my friends list) really push me. I feel like my spare tire is getting a bit smaller and deflated, but no real weight loss. I always skipped the clams in XT legs too. I bought a Windows Surface pro3 laptop/tablet, I need a decent windows machine for doing embroidery and I'm starting to feel about ready to tackle a bit of sewing (I'll have my sewing room back partially). All last week I DIDN'T take any naps, last 2 days I have accidentally and then couldn't sleep at night, I think my body is telling me it doesn't need as much rest as it has this last year. So I have to keep myself busy (and not read as I'll fall asleep), so new computer and sewing it will be. Mary, are you back? Ronne, I'm feeling like the fact I don't hit the weights so hard then I can be a bit more flexible, kinda liking it. Murphy, how are you doing? Gotta run.....

Hi all
XT CBS done (early and efficiently for me) and I might do a cardio this aft (eyeballing CCC, a Zuzka or a few rounds of tabatacise or maybe a walk).
Did you guys do anything for the 4th? I know Mary was at lake and Ronne is at the seaside.

I'm baaaaack! Hello everyone! There is so much to catch up on! The most important being......a SNAKE? In YOUR HOUSE? Lol! Not my favorite species! Week was very nice,only one cloudy day, lots of beach time, family time. Did workout everyday, but the 4th. Have to organize my life, house, bills, wash, food, etc! I'll come back later to figure everything else out! Mary

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.