40 & fit

scubagirl

Cathlete
Hi girls! Hope everyone is well and had a good weekend. Youngest DS has strep, hope that he didn't share with the rest of us! Just did meso 2 chest, shoulders and tri's, will try to get in some cardio later, all the running around I had to do yesterday didn't leave me much time! Lisa, how is Yoshi? Saw on FB he was traumatized, did he get hurt? Murphy, how are you feeling? Ronne, still on break? Kathryn, those taxes are due Thurs.! Have a good day all! Talk to you later. Mary

hi everyone. I took a rest day on Saturday because I slept until 7:30! I haven't slept that late for at least over a year, then Sunday I did GS legs so yep, got the DOMS big time today, so I just did Step Moves...this one is getting easier for me (both in knowing the steps and in the huff and puff factor).

Mary, how did you see about Yoshi on FB? Are you a friend of a friend of mine, or one of my friends? anyway, she is ok, but it pisses me off that she can't go hang out in her backyard without getting attacked. And the poor thing is so old she can't run fast, can't jump, so she crawled into a hole that is between the patio and house (there is an overhang from the house), and the other cat followed her in to attack her. Then DH couldn't get her out for over 40 min (while the other cat kept coming back to look for more trouble). I slept through it all :) She's not physically harmed ( a little scratch over her eye) and she's being so good with letting us doctor her tail where she keeps licking it sore (sometimes I wonder if that other cat got her back in Dec when the tail problem started --- we didn't notice until she licked a couple big spots raw(remember Maddy was getting all the attention). So we've bandaged up her tail and she is leaving the bandage alone! I'm amazed she isn't pulling it off, so I think she knows we are helping her.

Murphy, don't feel bad about not thinking of allergies. One year I swore I had a perpetual cold then someone mentioned allergies. Then I think I took benadryl for so long that it started causing me headaches. I think it was benadryl ---- I had to go to the dr for him to tell me what could trigger migraines, duh! So I use a RX nose spray (rhinocort or something like that) and that helps me the most. Good luck finding out what works for you....I've been sneezing quite a bit and I'm not even outside that much lately.

Hi Ronne and Kathryn, hope you have time to join in this week for checkin.

Later....

Spring Break is oooooverrrrr.....

I hate the end of Spring Break! I'm back to getting up early, working out early, feeling sleep-deprived. But the kids are back to school and I'm back to my desk.

I did AOS Providence this morning. I'm just dragging... having done my first Insanity workout on Saturday, I still haven't recovered. The name is perfect -- those workouts are crazy! I actually thought the warm-up was the workout -- :eek:

Mary, you'll be pleased to know that my accountant is ready to file when we are (meaning I got everything in on time)! Hooray -- and better still, we will get some money back for a change. Business has been way down, so for the first time in forever, we're getting a refund.

I'm enjoying the beautiful weather -- it's in the low 40s in the morning, but gets up to the low 80s by afternoon. That is about as Spring-like as we get in Atlanta.

Lisa, you may very well have allergies instead of a cold. Apparently a pollen count of 120 or more is considered very high. It was nearly 3000 here today. You could cut it with a knife... sweep it off the deck, blow it off your car... We really can't keep the windows open, even though it would be nice to do so after a long winter. I'm congested, and DS's eyes are red (bloodshot, not conjunctivitis). Ugh.

Well, it's good to be back, even though it's bad to be back to getting up early!

Hi to all!

HI All,

I am feeling better. I am not sure if it is the allergy medicine or the fact that I got some sleep this past weeekend. This week will be a Tracie Long week. I have been neglecting her in favor of Cathe so I will take a break and get back to Tracie. She has some new stuff coming out in a few months, 30 minute workout stuff. I am sure I will buy it, I am a fan of hers. Anyway, hi to everyone.

Murphy

Hi! I'm back! Did amy bento's in the ring, a premix of the med ball intervals' only 30 minutes, but got a good sweat! Lisa, we are friends on facebook! Murphy, glad to hear you are feeling better. Kathryn, good to hear about the taxes. We missed you last week. Hi to all, off to make dinner. Mary

Good morning, all! I did the second workout in the aptly titled Insanity workout. Okay, now I really need a day off!

Mary, do you like that Amy Bento workout? I've seen mixed reviews on it.

Well, I've got to dash -- DD overslept her alarm and is still snoozing (bus arrives in 17 minutes!)... vacation hangover, I'm afraid! :rolleyes:

Hi all,

Another Tracie Long day. I forgot to tell you, the other day I am doing core max and one of my "assistants" told me each time I was doind something wrong. DD kept telling me, "the lady is doing it differently", "your suppose to lift higher", "your legs are supposed to be extended like the lady"... It was time for crayons and a coloring book!

Kathryn - how do you like Insanity? Does it feel like a HiiT workout - everyday!

Hi to all who follow.

Murphy

Hi everyone. Today I started STS Meso 3....I figured since I did GS last week (I still have DOMS from GS legs) that I'd do a modified rotation of what Cathe posted. I missed STS, it's been about 4 mths since I've done it, Cathe is so refreshing in that series. I hope to run later for about 30 min (hopefully my legs loosen up). DH said he was surprised when I did abs weights and plates at lunchtime yesterday, couldn't believe I was working out twice in a day....told him it was my way of dealing with things.

Mary, I think I found you in my friend list on FB, birthday Sept 1964, right? Do you have 2 girls and 2 boys? I have so many friends from when I played the FB games (I quit playing but haven't removed the people, but I"ve been trying to organize my friends.

Murphy, my legs are NEVER extended as straight as Cathe and crew, I blame my tight hamstrings. That is funny about your DD though!

Kathryn, I see you joined Royal Carribean FB group. I've been researching cruises as since we will soon be empty nesters this is something I want to do. Probably not for a while..... I cruised once when I was 19 to the Bahamas on a small Disney boat....OMG, I was so sick, hoping it's much better this time. I'd like to go to Alaska, but they only go May-Sept and that is still a bad time for us the next 2 years (kids home and possibly a wedding for oldest DS). So, I'm contemplating going somewhere else in the meantime since it might be summer 2012 before we can make it to Alaska, any suggestions?

I was thinking last week when I did HIIT 40/20 that there is NO WAY I could do insanity. I can not, I repeat can not get down to the floor and back up fast enough (and I don't have a low BP issue), I'm just SLOW.

Hi everyone! Did tri-sets again today! I am sure soreness will be arriving soon. Lisa, you are right about the b-day, I only have 1 girl and 2 boys tho! You have way more friends than I do, I just like to read everyone's posts, don't post too much myself. Probably just like here, I was afraid to post anything here at the beginning! A cruise would be great! We are thinking of taking a short one in Dec. Kathryn, did you guys go away for break? You always take good vacations! Murphy, I too recieve direction from my assistants! I know what I am doing wrong, just annoying to hear it pointed out for you! Hi Ronne! Mary

Quick check-in...

Hi everybody! I wanted to post some quick replies...

Murphy, Insanity feels like Hiit times ten... but I am determined to do this, so I'm pushing myself. I would like to point out that nobody in the Insanity class is over 30, so I don't feel too badly about not jumping as high (or lunging as low!)... Don't you love the "helpful" feedback from all of your many coaches? DH occasionally makes the mistake of giving me pointers... not often, though!

Lisa, I've been on many cruises and three different cruise lines. RCI was my favorite for the variety of activities, quality of food, and stability of the ships (they're so huuuuge!). I get motion sickness, so I'm happy to be on a large ship. I don't want to take medicine for it, and haven't had any problems so far. We love cruises -- we went on the first for our honeymoon, took several after that, took Alex on a Millenium (2000) cruise, and have taken the two kids on three more since then. They've been great. Now that you're an empty-nester you can travel all you want (or all your time off will allow). All of our cruises have been in the Caribbean... those are nice. Just pick good ports of call. PM or email me if you have questions or need more info.

Lisa, in Insanity I've discovered that I can get up from the floor more quickly if I try to get my head up first, then stand up more directly. I can get down and up pretty well if I don't have to put my head down (like in the rolly-pollies), but I'm still not as fast as those 20-something athletes in the video. Not trying to be an enabler -- Insanity is definitely not for everybody (probably not really ideal for me), and I won't have DH join me (for fear of his health).

Lisa, I noticed you have a ton of FB friends -- nearly a thousand, I think! I don't have even 100, but I don't play the games, either (no time for it). Mary, I'll try to find you amongst all of Lisa's many FB friends!

Well, I've got to get to bed. Tomorrow is a no-workout day, but DD has to get to school on time because she's starting standardized testing. Bye, all!

Quick fly by for me. LIC timesaver cardio done today, I plan to do some abs later.

Kathryn, good to hear about the mega boats being good for motion sickness, although I'll still have me some ear patches! I haven't figured out where we want to go, but I'm thinking it'd be nice and work in our schedule to go in Feb for our 25th wedding anniv. So far, the Carribean isn't high on my list (if we did that would want the southern caribean --- lots flyout of San Juan Puerto Rico, so since we are in land locked CO and have to fly somewhere, might as well get closer to some exotic place I figure.

Mary, guess I thought you had 2 girls since there is a pic in your photo albumn that has 2 girls in it.

Hi Murphy and Ronne if you're lurking :)

Hi everyone! Did back and bi's today, no time tomorrow, I have track, girl scouts, and tutoring, maybe I will do a HIIT tomorrow? They are just so painful!! Kathryn, I am impressed with you and Insanity! I would be afraid I would drop dead in the middle of it! Lisa, I like LIC, it is fun! 25 years that is impressive! You guys should treat yourselves special! Hi to Murphy, and Ronne! Mary

Insanity... again. Today was the most intense workout so far... all cardio, with NO BREAKS! Of course you can take them if you need them, but you're supposed to keep going through the whole workout... so it was really HIT -- nothing interval about it. I hung in there, I finished ,and I'm proud of myself for doing so. I'm just going to do the best I can and be satisfied with that. I really need a heart monitor, though... Shaun recommends one and the people in the class wear them.

Lisa, I did the Southern Caribbean ... flew to San Juan and left from there. It's the nicest itinerary and I'd like to do it again. You may as well arrive in San Juan a day early and stay over, or stay an extra day after your ship docks. If you haven't been there, it's a fun place to see.

I never had an ear patch on a cruise, but when I had my sinus surgery the anesthesiologist put a scopolamine patch (motion-sickness patch) behind my ear. After I awoke from the surgery, I noticed my vision was horrible and I thought the surgeon had damaged an optic nerve (a risk of the surgery). Turns out it was a side effect from the patch (which I didn't know that I had). Although these days my vision has gotten so bad that I probably wouldn't even notice the difference! :D

Mary, I don't know how you do it! Your schedule (extra curricular) sounds brutal! Do you get a moment to yourself? Yes, HIIT is tough. I never did much of it before Insanity (sorry, Cathe!)...

Speaking of Insanity, one thing that really bothers me about the workout is that the other people in the group collapse on the floor after they've finished. :eek: I've always heard that it's bad for your heart to do that, and you should walk around until you've recovered a bit. This series is for the advanced exerciser, so presumably you would know that, but it still sets a bad example, in my opinion.

Well, I have to get to work. Hi to everybody!

Hi ladies! I think Murphy possessed my body today and made me do Drill Max again. :)

Mary, HIIT is TOUGH, has a dread factor for me, but when time is limited they are good (although I'd still prefer a 30 min run on the treadmill).

Kathryn, great job on the Insanity! That is bad that they collapse on the floor, do you think it's for drama? I had an ear patch when I had surgery a few years ago, I was so nervous about waking up sick to my stomach ( a previous surgery in my early 20s I was soooo sick). The anesthesiologist said that people that get sea sick tend to get sick when being put under, I had no problems with the patch (my son gets red eyes and some vision issues, but it's still better than being sick, that poor boy gets really sick just driving on the highway in the mountains (not even super curvy roads)). I'm thinking southern Carribean sounds like what it will be although I won't book for a while. Did you have the cruise lines set up your air fare or did you book that separately? Any must do excursions? (we've been snorkling before, don't really need to do that). I always thought I was such a water person but lately I'm happy looking at it rather than swimming in it (I must take that after my Mom), although I'll still take a dip or two.

Hi everyone else!

Lisa - you are too funny. I was thinking of doing Drill Max but went for Tracie Long instead. Next time I will think of Stretch Max and we can see what will happen. :)

Kathryn - sorry to bring it up, but if I remember correctly, on one of the Insanity discs he asks a woman to tell us her age and she said something like 40 (or thereabouts). I was surprised. I don't remember he asking anyone else. His brother is on some of the discs too - later in the program I think. BTW, do you find some of the people annoying? Was it just me?

Murphy

Lisa, you don't have to do the excursions. Sometimes we just get off the ship and walk around port. A couple of times we've stayed on the ship. I think we booked our own airfare (probably used Frequent Flier points), so I'd arrange them separately. I really would arrive the day before, just in case there's a problem with the flight. Otherwise, the ship will sail without you!

I get really sick from anesthesia -- even with the patch, I was so dizzy I couldn't hold my head up. I was so sick from the epidural with my first child that I went natural with the second one. I need to have my hernia fixed and probably my foot fixed too, but dread the anesthesia. I've had a lot of surgery (appendix, tonsils, sinuses, etc.), and get sick every time. I can't even take painkillers -- they make me sick too. And carsick goes without question.

After our last cruise I felt like the earth was rocking for more than a week... it took me quite a while to get rid of my sea legs.

How long can I put off those operations? Well, it's been years for both!

Keep us posted about the cruise. I've heard you can get good deals right now... they've got a lot of ships and not enough passengers.

Regarding the prone bodies in Insanity: I don't think it's drama -- those people look beat! Sometimes they try to slink off-camera and recover over there, but if the wide angle doesn't catch them, the roving camera guy does. It usually shames them into getting back out on the floor! :eek:

Still, I think Shaun should be telling them to walk it off. Pavel (of kettlebell fame) says you shouldn't even lean over and put your hands on your knees; you should keep your legs moving and your head up. I'll take his word for it.

Okay, enough procrastinating -- back to work for me!

Kathryn - sorry to bring it up, but if I remember correctly, on one of the Insanity discs he asks a woman to tell us her age and she said something like 40 (or thereabouts). I was surprised. I don't remember he asking anyone else. His brother is on some of the discs too - later in the program I think. BTW, do you find some of the people annoying? Was it just me?

Murphy

Murphy, if Shaun does that, I haven't gotten to that disk yet. I've only done three workouts plus the fit test. Have you done the whole thing? I dread month two -- longer and harder than month one!

I haven't been annoyed by anybody yet -- only by the flops to the deck that they do when they're tired. That bugs me. Maybe I'm not annoyed by them because without my glasses I can't see the screen very well. My vision has really tanked in the past year or so.

Completely off-topic, but does it seem that wearing glasses makes your vision worse? I mean, I can see better with them on, but I think my glasses have made my distance vision much worse... to the point where I'll actually need glasses to drive. Hmmm....

Kathryn, I'm getting to where I can't read without glasses (although I still refuse to put them on) When I was at the drs office this week, I realized I couldn't really read the magazine and was struggling so put it down and then I noticed my vision was a bit skewed (maybe from struggling?) The eye doctor had assured me that it was ok to struggle. I don't know, all I know is I DON'T LIKE IT! From someone who has had perfect vision all their life, this is not a welcome thing!

Hi all! Did Double wave pyramid from HIIT, only b/c I was too lazy to get out my step! Just finished tutoring, now on to girl scouts, (track was postponed!) Lisa, I have worn glasses since 2nd grade, I am now on to bifocals, really hard to read little things, have to take them off and put whatever it is I'm reading to my nose! Well, it is better than being blind?! I would love Lasik, however it scares me, what if they mess something up? Kathryn, don't blame you being afraid of surgery, mine is coming up in less than 3 weeks, I'm getting really nervous! That is why I waited 7 years to do anything about my pain, I am a big woosy! I am so impressed with you and Insanity, you and Murphy are brave girls! I will stick to HIIT, is is shorter. Ronne must still be on vacation. Have a good night. Mary

Another Tracie Long day. I am looking forward to her new series coming out in June or so. Did Cathe say what she is considering next? Speaking of Cathe, anyone download any of her stuff? Anything I need to be aware of?

Glasses, glasses, glasses. I don't remember when I started but I will turn 41 in August and the doctor is suggesting bifoclas. Actually, the doctor suggested them last year but I freaked and said no. I may have to just accept it and get it. :-(

Kathryn - I think I did all but 3 or 4 discs of the Insanity series. I don't remember what they were but I remember thinking I really, really, really don't want to do this disc. They were probably one of the crazy/insane long circuit cardio dvd's. I think I may have skipped an ab one. Some of the moves I just did not care for. I either did not feel it or could not do and no interest on struggling through it. At some point I got tired of the "insanity".

Murphy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.