30 Day Veggers & other spuds - Day 4

Liann

Cathlete
Well, day 4 without meat and I'm feeling good. ;) Went grocery shopping last night and bought all of the ingredients to make Belinda's angel hair pasta dish and Gayle's veggie bean burgers. My DH said as long as I am cooking, he will not complain about what we eat. ;) I will still make him some meat dishes, but I plan to slowly wean him off. ;)

I cannot wait to get my veggie cookbooks!!!

I agree with you Liann I am feeling very good about what I have been eating (and I'vd dropped 2 pounds)

I will be doing some grocery shopping this afternoon and will also be making Belinda's angel hair past and the bean burger this weekend.

Liann how did the diner with you husband go last night. I am happy to see he will not be giving you a hard time about what you guys will be eating.

I ordered some cookbooks as well and I feel like a kid at christmas waiting for them to come in!!!

Teri - Dinner with DH is tonight actually. Poor guy had to work last night. I'll let you know how it goes and if he likes what I make. I'm thinking the Angel Hair pasta dish, potato soup or corn chowder (both veggie recipes), some veggie on the side and a desert of Chocolate (tofu) pudding. I'll let you guys know if that chocolate tofu recipe works out or not... I'm kind of torn about which soup to make. The potato one is wayyy easier, but I'm afraid that will be too much starch (potato & pasta). We'll see...

Hey girls.

So, yesterday was going well, and then I went to the fridge kind of looking for a quick snack. I pulled out a package of turkey breast, opened it up, put a slice in my mouth and all of a sudden it clicked! So, I spit it out like it was dirt and threw it in the garbage. I was horrified thatI did that. It's not even like I normally eat turkey that much anyway. Just thought I'd share the horror!

Yesterday went well other than the turkey incident. I am not much of a cookbook person, but maybe if you guys get some and there are some quick and easy recipes you could pass them on.

When I watched the video I know they said that eating fish does not make you a vegetarian. I feel so guilty about this. At the same time, I eat so much fish that I just can't conceiev of not having it just yet. So, I am struggling with this one. I'll take it a day at a time. It's kind of like being a vegetarian but not a vegan in a way, right? It makes sense but it's just really hard to take that leap. Anyway, just thought I would share.

I have to go teach class, BBL.

Have a great day ladies!

Vicki - I have a hard time sypathizing with the "fishies". Not sure I could ever give up shrimp, crabs, etc... I am at the moment, but no shrimp cocktail for the rest of my life...hmm... I think I'll live with the guilt! ;)

I'm laughing about the turkey incident! Too funny! ;)

Had my yummy tofu last night. It's just so good. Here' the recipe - with proper credit to its owner, Mr Tyler Florence. Cooks up super-fast, too. ENJOY!!

Tofu w/Pears and Sauteed Spinach

1 block extra-firm tofu, halved horizontally (like square patties)
2 T peanut oil
1 T sesame oil *Note - I cut way back on the oil quantities and have
only used the sesame
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger, peeled
1 garlic clove, minced
1 fresh red chile, cut in paper thin circles
(I have always substituted w/sambal oelek here, to taste)
3 whole star anise
1/2 c roasted, no-salt peanuts
2 T hoisin sauce
1 T low-sodium soy sauce
juice of 1/2 lime
2 lbs baby spinach
1 pear or Asian pear, sliced in thin wedges

Press tofu between two plates lined with paper towels, for approx 15 minutes (to add firmness and texture). Heat oil in saute pan until hot. Add tofu and cook on both sides until golden (approx 5 minutes, per side). Remove from pan and place on paper towels.
In same pan, saute garlic, ginger, chile, star anise and peanuts, for 2 minutes. In small bowl, combine hoisin, soy sacue and lime juice. Add spinach to pan and toss just to wilt. Remove to serving plate. Add hoisin mixture to pan and heat through. Set tofu patties in sauce just to rewarm. Lay pear slices and tofu on spinach. Drizzle all with sauce. Serve with steamed rice.

Serves 2

Vicki-LOL! I did the exact same thing yesterday. I was reheating tacos (beef) for my DS and I stirred the beef up and licked the spoon! The second I realized what I did, I spit out the few tiny pieces that got into my mouth! I even went to the bathroom and rinsed my mouth! LOL Too funny!

I'm feeling really good too! I've also dropped a few pounds over the last 2 weeks, so that's helping! I've been in my GLORY eating roasted tomatoes! I'm making another batch right now, in fact!

I'm headed to the Jersey Shore with my kids Sunday and Monday, and I'm mentally prepping myself for what to pack in the cooler for the beach! Planning on fruit, roasted toms (excellent cold, too), and PB2 sandwiches (the powdered PB I recently bought, yummy).

As for fish, I love it too. Salmon is my all-time fave. I don't really eat fish all that much, but I do put on a can or pouch of tuna on my salads when I make them.

BABY STEPS!

BBL

Gayle

vicki I can completely understand the Turkey incident. I have to keep reminding myself and I catch myself reaching for the snacks I used to have! I always keep cooked chicken and turkey in the fridge.

Thanks for the tofu recipe that will be dinner tonight.

Hey there veggers!

I'm LOL at the turkey and beef taco incidents! ;) I don't keep any meat in the house (except for fish, sometimes), so I haven't slipped up like that, but I can definitely see how that might happen! :7

Everyone's doing so great - way to go guys! :D

Last night for dinner, I was on my own since DH went to dinner with a friend, so I made grilled cheese (swiss on ww) and tomato soup (Amy's Lower Sodium - yum!). I know, I know - I'm not 5 years old. ;) There's just something about tomato soup and grilled cheese!

Tonight is pizza night (http://www.nicknwillys.com), and I always make sure to get one of their awesome salads so that I eat less pizza. They have the most amazing balsamic vinaigrette - they should seriously bottle it and sell it. I've never had anything like it. We always get the Margherita pizza which is so simple, yet sooooo good. :9 I'm drooling just thinking about it.

I'm not sure what I'll have for lunch today, since I didn't bring anything. I'll have to see what they're serving in the cafeteria at work. There's a good salad bar, if I can't find anything else.

Emily - nothing is better than Tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich! ;) Especially on a rainy or cold day.

I am going out to lunch with the girls from work today, so I plan on ordering the veggie delight sub on wheat. I've never had that before, so I hope it tastes ok. It's about the only think I can think to eat there.

Hey Gayle: How do you do those roasted tomatoes?? I am salivating at the thought of them but never roasted tomatoes before. I have a whole bunch from my garden that need to be eaten ASAP! Oh, and I am cracking up that you had a beef taco incident! I was spitting that turkey out till there wasn't one drop left!! I didn't rinse though, I'm not gonna lie!!

Great job so far everyone!!

Hi everyone!

I still doing well with eating dairy-free. It's been easy, because the dairy is supposed to contribute to sinus problems and I had a horrible sinus headache for a week and a half. Luckily, it's gone now!

Liann - try looking at cookinglight.com They have a very good chocolate mousse recipe made with tofu. Just be sure the chocolate is completely melted before mixing in with the other ingredients. Otherwise you will get a grainy, but great tasting, chocolate mousse.

Glad everyone is doing well with the challenge! Have a great weekend!

Vanessa

Hey guys...me again.

Vicki-To roast tomatoes....just cut them in half and put them cut-side up on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed. Then spray the top of the toms with the veggie spray and sprinkle with salt/pepper if you like. Then roast them at 300 degrees in the oven for a while, usually 3 hours or so. Nice and YUMMY! I've roasted every variety of tom in my garden...beef steak, plum, roma, cherry, grape, red, green. They turn our PERFECT every single time. You really cannot OVER-roast them, so sometimes I put them in the oven before I leave the house...like last night they roasted in the oven while I was as DS's baseball game. Came home to a YUMMY-smelling house!

I tossed them with ww spaghetti the other night. For lunch this afternoon, I put them on a ww burger roll with a slice of cheese. They taste great warm or cold from the fridge (like I'm snacking on now :)

HEAVEN, I TELL YA! HEAVEN!!!!!!

Gayle

Hi,

Wow, everyone's doing great!

Gayle, the roasted tomatoes sounds awesome and definitely something my cooking skills or lack of :) can handle.

Breakfast was veggies with kidneys beans, mixed fruit with a handful of almonds. Lunch was a yummy salad with greens, walnuts and cranberries. Not sure about dinner yet but something similar to the above.

I haven't lost any weight even though I've been eating this way since January :( I do have a bit to lose and I'm not sure what the deal is? I actually measure my food so I can track my calories fairly accurately and I average around 1300-1400 calories per day. I'm 48 years young and workout with Cathe 6 days/week. I usually do 3 days of weights, 2 cardio, 1 circuit and a rest/yoga or stretch day and I change my routine about every 6-8 weeks. Just recently I took a rest week. I was losing weight when I was a meat eater(I was eating a lot of protein!) but since I went veggie, I've gained!

Gosh, I'm so sorry as I didn't mean to change topics of this thread but if anyone has thoughts or suggestions, I'm interested!

Thanks!
Diana

Diana - I wonder if you might be getting too few calories and your body is holding onto the weight because of that? I've heard that discussed before on the open forum. If you mention it on there, I bet some of the girls who were discussing it before would pipe up with their experience.

I am so happy about dinner tonight!!! I made Belinda's angel hair pasta recipe and it was awesome. My DH really liked it.

I also made a vegan potato soup recipe that I got online and it was REALLY good. I will post the recipe below. The only change I made was instead of baking the potatoes and scooping out the insides, I peeled and cubed raw potatoes (about 5 small to medium sized ones) and just boiled them. That way I actually had potatoe chunks. My DH was happy with everything and is now stuffed. :) I also made some chocolate tofu pudding, but we haven't eaten that yet. I'll let you know if it was good.

Baked Potato Soup

2 large baking potatoes (I used 5 small/medium ones)
3 Tbsp. margarine (I ended up having to use another one)
1 cup finely diced white onion
2 Tbsp. flour
4 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 cups instant mashed potatoes (use flakes, not buds)
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. basil
1/8 tsp. thyme
1 cup liquid nondairy creamer or soy milk
Bacos (optional)
2 green onions, diced (optional)
1/3 cup shredded vegan cheddar cheese (optional)

• Bake the potatoes at 400°F for 1 hour. Allow to cool. (I cubed them and boiled them while I was preparing everything else)
• Melt the margarine in a large saucepan and sauté the onion until lightly browned. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Add the stock, water, cornstarch, instant mashed potatoes, and spices and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
• Cut the cooled potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the contents. Discard the skins. Chop the potatoes into bite-size chunks, and add, along with the nondairy creamer, to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for another 15 minutes, until thickened.
• Spoon the soup into bowls and top with the Bacos, chopped green onions, and vegan cheese.

Makes 4 servings (mine made wayyyy more than 4 servings)

Liann~ Im so glad glad your dinner was such a success. The potato soup looks yummy.

Diana~ I agree with Liann about to few calories. How is your protien in take. Are you getting enough? I would second liann's suggestion that you post in the open forum and I am sure you will get plenty of advice and suggestions.

Today I had oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast. A yummy salad for lunch and mushroom pizza for dinner. I also had a peach and almonds for snacks.

Hi girls,

This is day 3 for me without meat! I don't miss it! Sorry I am so short, put I have to go back packing ( I will fly Sep.17 to Germany!))

Gayle I am so happy to see you too! I didn't know you eat only veg.??

Gayle and Vicki I'm laughing at the turkey and beef taco incidents!

Thanks for all the yummy recipes!

Belinda

Hi, Ladies,

Thanks for the advice. I know it's silly but I struggle with upping my caloric intake but I think I will take the plunge as I've been stuck in the rut for months now.

Thanks again!
Diana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.