30 Day Veggers - Day 7!!!

Liann

Cathlete
We have officially made it a week! Woohoo!!!

Breakfast - 2 banana nut muffins made from a recipe on goveg.com. Wish I could say they were yummy, but hmm.... this is one recipe I will not be sharing. They practically weighed 2 lbs a piece. You know the type - heavy would be an understatement. They looked pretty though!

Lunch is going to be a salad and I also have some peaches and yogurt for snacks during the day. I am alone for dinner for the next few nights since DH is working, so I am going to have to come up with some ideas for "single" person meals.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Hey Liann! Yes...it IS a week, isn't it???? I haven't struggled yet (other than the taco mistake, lol).

I took the kids to Chuck E Cheese's yesterday and ordered a pizza for lunch. I got half pepperoni (for the kids), but when it came, I just sat there and realized something. I realized that the REASON I did this Veg Pledge was NOT to simply not eat meat. It was to make a statement and try to support the animal rights. So, in getting half pepperoni, I really haven't avoided ANY mistreatment of animals, right? I just halved it, so to speak. ANYWAY.....I decided then that from here on out, whenever possible, my kids will avoid the meat products as well.

ok...after that revelation...lol

I slept in today. I woke up completely disoriented...laying on top of my bed, light and TV still on, glasses still on my nose, tv controller in my hand! LOL I must have laid down after getting the boys to bed and simply passed OUT! LOL It's been a long (and FUN) weekend, so it must have caught up with me! Today, I'm taking my boys and 2 neighbor friends to the local amusement/water park for the day. ANOTHER LOOOOOOOOOOOONG day, but I LOVE IT! Packing a lunch that is veg, and there's a Subway rest. there, so I'll get my usual veggie wrap.

Gotta run and pack us up!

Gayle

Have fun at the water park Gayle!!! :)

I know what you mean about "halving". I've pretty much decided that if my DH wants meat, he can cook it himself - and buy it himself. ;) Anything that I buy or cook is going to be veggie. So far, he hasn't had any meat since Thursday of last week, but he did buy some sandwich meat for lunches this week. He hasn't been complaining though about the veggie meals. As long as I keep him full, he's happy. And he's been thrilled that I have been cooking. He has always been the cook in the house. ;)

Good morning ladies,

This is day 6 for me! For breakfast I will have Kashi and soy milk! For lunch I think I will make green beans and potatoes soup( not sure what else I will throw in there! Dinner not sure?
I have not lost a pound since the RT! Maybe I hit a plateou???

Gayle have fun at the water park! I am happy for you, that you having so much fun lately !

Liann my DH and DS are not happy with me, since I am not cooking any meat! Not sure if I can say after working 12 to 14 hours ( my DH is in the Army!!)a day go buy and cook your meat?? My DS (18 years old!) doesn't eat veg.! They both meat eaters!

Have a great day everyone!
Belinda

Well, I suck. I ate chicken this weekend - twice. But I did toss my sliced turkey. Swearing off beef and pork will be easy. Guess I'm going to have to ease into the rest. Not sure I'll give up seafood, but I do watch where it comes from. Some with poultry, which I will be cutting way back on. Just waiting for my cookbooks to give me further inspiration. I have to order groceries later this week, so will go with a very veggie focus when I do. I plan to seek out the veggie replacements (soy crumbles, tofurkey, etc.). We'll see how it goes. I think I'm having whole wheat spagetti with broccoli and tomato sauce for dinner tonight. Tomorrow will be sweet-and-sour tofu, w/red peppers. YUM

Great job, veggers!!! :D

Gayle, don't worry about the pepperoni pizza thing. Baby steps, baby steps. :) And not everyone does this for animal rights reasons. Some people go veg for the health reasons, or environmental reasons. Vegetarianism doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing kind of deal. Every little bit you do helps! It helps animals, your health AND the environment. :)

Liann, sorry your muffins weren't very tasty. There is a lot of trial and error in veg baking - especially if you're not using eggs or butter. Keep trying - you'll find some gems out there. I should share my chocolate chip cookie recipe with y'all - it's completely vegan. And delicious! :9

Last night for dinner, I made a big pot of Indian Spiced Lentil Soup (another goodie from Vegan Planet), so I have leftover soup for lunch today. Yum! I'm not sure what's for dinner tonight. Maybe some kind of pasta dish.

Good morning all

so far so good I have not had any meat cravings and I was a pretty big beef eater. I just really feel good.

Gayle - Im lol at your "half way" comment. I think we are all dealing with that on one level or another with our SOs

I had oatmeal for breakfast with blueberries and have a salad for lunch. Dinner will be a spicy sesame stir fry with brown rice broccoli carrots and tofu.

I hope everyone has a great day

Good morning!

You guys are all doing great!

I was at a concert at Bethel Woods last night ( the original site of Woodstock)to see Lynyrd Skynyrd, and I waa so happy to see that they had a vegetarian booth by all the food. OMG, I had the garden veggie hummis and it was delicious! The vegetarian chili looked great too! I didn't try it because those beans may have caused a little too much bloating during the concert!

Emily: I love the way you said that "every little bit helps". That makes alot of sense and makes me feel better about not being ready to give up fish! Thanks for that.

Gayle, enjoy the water park. You are always doing fun things with your kids! Good for you! Oh, I still haven't roasted those tomatoes. I never have enough time!! x(

Oh, Liann, those muffins mst have been some dissappointment. I'm sure there's some other good recipes out there!!

Ter: Your dinner sounds absolutely delicious! I might try something like that tonight!

Belinda: Listen you do what you have to for yourself and if everyone wants meat then let them cook some!! You have had enough going on these past few months that I would have to say it's okay to take care of yourself the way you need to. You are doing something healthy for yourself... keep it up!!

BBl. Have a great day!

Good morning! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

My cookbooks are in at the library, so I'll stop and pick them up after work. I've been reading (skimming) Eat to Live and while I agree that a lot of Americans need to increase fruit and veggie intake his plan seems very strict and takes the enjoyment out of eating. I know some people swear by this book, but it's just not for me. I'll take what I can from the book and leave the rest.

I was mostly dairy-free this weekend. On Friday my boyfriend ordered my favorite dinner for me which, of course, had cheese on it. I didn't say anything (we were out with friends), but the next morning I woke up conjested and with swollen eyes. So I told him how I felt after eating the cheese and he totally got it. I'm so happy! He made dinner the next night for some friends and mine was dairy-free. Sometimes he's the best!

For breakfast today I had an apple with peanut butter and soy chai latte. I've had a salad for a snack and lunch will be red beans and rice. For a post-workout dinner tonight I'll probably have a blueberry and banana smoothie.

I can't wait to have a look at Vegan Planet - that Indian Lentil soup sounds great.

Vanessa

Belinda - sounds like you are doing great! :)

NY25 - Lol, don't sweat it! It's like Emily said - baby steps! :) Let us know how that sweet and sour tofu with red peppers goes. That sounds good!

Teri - I'm surprised I haven't had any meat cravings at all either. The hardest part for me is that if I continue this past 30 days (which I plan to), I'm going to have to deal with Thanksgiving dinner at my parent's house. I absolutely LOVE my mom's dressing, so I'm going to have to come up with a way for her to modify it so I can eat it. She usually uses the drippings from the turkey. Plus I normally top it was gravy she makes from the turkey. I might have to raise my own turkey so I can eat Thanksgiving dinner! ;) I'm already thinking of ways to modify everything though, and the rest of the sides are veggie friendly, so it shouldn't be too hard - public ridicule from my sisters notwithstanding. ;)

Emily - Yeah, those muffins were a real downer... I even made them from scratch! You must post that chocolate chip recipe!!!

Vicki - That is really neat about them having a vegetarian booth at the concert! I wish there was a good veggie restaurant around here!

Vanessa - Let us know how you like the cookbooks. I am still waiting for mine in the mail - waiting impatiently!!!

Oh no Liann I had not thought about Thanksgiving!!! I plan on doing this past the 30 days as well and I can literally drink my mom's gravy and she uses the drippings from the gravy!!! I only have gravy once a year so I may need to let that be my one cheat.

But as Im typing this I am thinking that I may not even like it by that time. My taste for it may be alot different. Okay Im gonna get past the original 30 days first then worry about Thanksgiving!!!

Hey, don't worry about Thanksgiving you guys! I've been modifying Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter for the last 2 years and it's totally doable, even at my parents' and in-laws' houses!

I, too, love stuffing/dressing. Yum! My mom, bless her heart, always bakes me a pan of stuffing outside of the bird. You can use veggie stock to moisten it up (in place of turkey drippings). It's deeeelicious! I load up my plate with stuffing and mashed potatoes and corn and cranberries and I'm good to go. It's carb-city, but it sure is tasty! :9 You can also make veggie gravy, but I'll be the first to admit that it's a poor substitute for the real thing. So I don't usually use any kind of gravy.

One of these days I'm going to try a Tofurkey... I hear they're pretty good. :)

Thanks, Liann! And the sweet and sour tofu is great - I've made it before. I have several awesome tofu recipes. Love that stuff!

Well, I just tried a "Smart Dog" - bleh.... Awful!!! Maybe if I burned it to a crisp on a grill it might taste ok. It just tastes overly processed and "spam" like. I figure I will try everything out at least once. I seem to be leaning towards the more natural foods however than these "alternative" ones. ;) I don't think I could ever be a vegan - fake cheese, fake yogurt, fake sour cream... Surprisingly I like the soy milk alright though, so maybe it's just a matter of finding the right brand. I wish the grocery stores around here stocked more. There is usually only one option for everything. Ok, I'll stop rambling. Just had to complain about that dog! bleh... :p

Hi Everyone,

I was just reading the 30 day pledge post from the Open Discussion forums and a lot of you have recommended Moosewood as a good cookbook. Anyone have a preference? I see they've published quite a few. My boyfriend and I wouldn't mind becoming vegetarians. Trying to find good recipes we both like has been a challenge. And yup we're having chicken tonight :-( I buy organic or free range as much as possible.
Milk sure is getting expensive without those hormones.
There was some show once on TV and what comes out of those poor cows I don't want to gross anyone out! We switched to organic real quick.
Thanks everyone
Sabine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.