30 Day Veggers - Day 18

Liann

Cathlete
Goodmorning ladies! Our ranks seem to be dwindeling a little. ;) Well, last night I made Linguini Tetrazini from the Vegan Planet Cookbook. Did not go over well with the DH at all. I didn't think my tofu pieces tasted that bad, but he was like "what are all these little spongy things", sigh.... I will admit I messed the recipe up a little and accidentally added the sherry after the tofu mixture had been added to the noodles, but that shouldn't have made that big of a difference. Anyways, it wasn't horrible, but my DH just picked at it and acted like it was toxic because it had tofu in it. Really ticked me off cuz' I spent a lot of time making it and I had even bought wine and rolls to go with it and had everything all done up nice. Then I had to hear the rest of the meal about how I had better not continue this past the 30 days and that he doesn't want me to be one of those weird people at the restaurant who asks if they have any "vegetarian" meals. We argued about this for some time. I told him that he was more than welcome to eat meat, I just didn't feel a need to. Then he told me I didn't have one good reason not to eat meat. When I started going through the health benefits ect., he just told me I was brainwashed by the PETA stuff I had been reading. Needless to say it wasn't a good night. One bad meal and my DH is all on the anti vegetarian kick. :( I'm very jealous of everyone with supportive DH's! Sorry to ramble on! :(

Vicki - Thank you for the burger suggestions. I will have to give those a try.

Teri - A good old corn on the cob is actually sounding pretty good to me at the moment. ;)

Oh, Liann. I'm sorry about last night's episode with dinner & DH. I can't give you much advice, unfortunately, just hang in there.

As for me, I'm still chugging along. I just, sometimes, have a hard time keeping up with all the check-ins that I belong to! lol

The other morning, I made a big batch of homemade Roasted Veggie Soup. It is just YUMMY and one of my all-time fave soup recipes. I'll post it when I get a chance, promise! So I've been eating that for meals.

Hope everybody's doing well.

OH...and I eat cold corn on the cob ALL the time. Another YUMMY vote.

Gayle

Sorry I didn't post yesterday! I am moving to Germany on Sep.17! I am very busy cleaning and packing!

Liann sorry about last night's dinner! My DH doesn't like Tofu!

Gayle your homemade Posted Veggie Soup sounds good! I need more recipes!

Belinda

Gayle - Looking forward to hearing that recipe! :)

Belinda - Your move is really coming up fast! I bet you are excited! :)

Liann Im sorry your dinner did not turn out the way you wanted but Im sure you will find some really yummy meals. Im still thinking about the ice cream you were eating yesterday

Gayle your roasted veggie soups sounds yummy. Do your puree the veggies? I have to admit I had cold corn on the cob for breakfast this morning. (we'll see how my system takes to all the corn :eek: )

I hope everyone has a great day!

Liann: so sorry your night was so bad. It sounds like you being a vegetarian is a threat to what your DH views as your way of life. The restaurant question kinda gives that clue. I would just act as normal as possible when going out and order what you need to without drawing any attention for a while. Also, maybe you will have to give him other things to eat besides what you are eating. I know that's a real PIA but he might feel better for a while if you cook things he likes. Like maybe when you make pasta, don't give him the tofu but grill some chicken to put in there for him. It may make him feel less threatened by all this. I know with my family I have to do that, cook stuff for them. Even though I wish they would do what I'm doing, they won't at least right now so I have to kind of keep the peace. Anyway, just my 2 cents. You are just one of the nicest people I have met and deserve to have peace about all this so you just keep doing what you're doing for yourself. You know what works for you...

Belinda: Good luck with the moving!! Hope it's going well with packingmax and all!

Gayle: Yummy soup!! Me want recipe NOW!!! ( or when you get a chance, whichever)

Teri: All that corn would make my bathroom trips, well, interesting...

Okay, off to get ready for some company for DS's B'day. Hope you guys have a great day!

Liann~ I just reread your post (im sorry I just quickly skimmed this morning) Im really sorry your DH is giving you a hard time regarding your choice to change your lifestyle. I agree that maybe if you added meat to his dishes it might help. On a completely different note, perhaps he was really stressed out from all he has on his plate right now and unfortunately lashed out at you. I know that when my DH is having a bad day or is really stressed out it can take very little to get a reaction from him and he is usually not upset about what he is making a fuss about.

I hope things will be better with him tonight.

Thanks Vicki! I will try to start making some alternative versions for him to help keep the peace. I keep trying to stress to him that this is not something I expect him to do and that I'm fine with him eating meat, but he is definitely still "threatened" by it. I don't know if this explains much, but my DH is the kind of guy who will not go to bed unless I go too and if I go to bed before him, he flips. He has this thing about us doing everything in sync, so me doing something like this is TOTALLY throwing him off. And now, he is totally obsessing over what his family is going to think (we are going out there for Christmas). I really don't even want his family to know, so I'd be willing to just load up on all the sides and not say anything, but DH is still all freaked out about it. :( I guess in a way our lives have always revolved around meat to some degree and this is a total upheaval of that. I'll try to lay off a little and not try to create Vegan masterpieces every night and maybe he will warm up to the idea more. He is already willing to have several vegetarian meals a week, just has a hard time with the concept that I myself never want to eat meat again. Thanks for listening, sorry to babble again!!!

>Liann~ I just reread your post (im sorry I just quickly
>skimmed this morning) Im really sorry your DH is giving you a
>hard time regarding your choice to change your lifestyle. I
>agree that maybe if you added meat to his dishes it might
>help. On a completely different note, perhaps he was really
>stressed out from all he has on his plate right now and
>unfortunately lashed out at you. I know that when my DH is
>having a bad day or is really stressed out it can take very
>little to get a reaction from him and he is usually not upset
>about what he is making a fuss about.
>
>I hope things will be better with him tonight.

Teri - Really good point. DH is VERY stressed at the moment trying to write a paper for his Grad class. The poor guy keeps saying he isn't smart enough for this and I think he was ready to hurtle his book out the window last night. I'm sure that played a part in his reaction. I know he meant everything he said, but he might have been a little less inclined to call me a wierdo had he not been in such a rough mood already. ;) He really is a nice guy most of the time!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.