30 Day Veggers - Day 17

Liann

Cathlete
Goodmorning Veggers! I learned many valuable lessons from my attempt at dinner last night:

1. Velvetta does not microwave betta
2. Crumbled up veggie burger in Spaghetti - Blah....
3. Clean up your failed velvetta attemps ASAP - can we say concrete
4. READ the labels on your pasta - ended up with angel hair instead of spaghetti noodles

The list goes on, but I think you get the drift that my quick and easy dinner last night did not go so well. I am getting close to fed up with the bought veggie burgers/franks etc... The one I used last night gave my spaghetti an awful burnt taste. I think I am going to stick to making my own until I can find a store with more selection.

Luckily my DH was at class last night, so only me and the weiners witnessed my icky dinner. I need to come up with something good tonight, so I brought several cook books with me to work to peruse when I get a break. I have also started a new book called "The Food Revolution" by John Robbins (Heir to Baskin Robbins). I finished the "Becoming Vegetarian" book which is a really good resource for those new to vegetarianism. It even has a food pyramid just for us which I plan to copy and paste on my fridge at home.

Well, I am being a little chatty here, so I will shut up and go back to work now! Hope you are all doing well!

p.s. The velvetta was to drizzle over my asparagus that I had on the side. I don't put velvetta on my spaghetti! ;)

Good morning liann- I think we are all going through a lot of trial and error with our cooking!! Good luck with your cookbooks today I hope you find lots of yummy meals.

I actually like the Bocca brand soy burger and soy chicken patty. I do not like the fact that I am depending alot on prepackaged foods lately for lunch. I need to get back on track with fresh foods.

I happy to hear the velvetta was for the asparagus. I was thinking spaghetti crumbled veggie burger and velvetta......hummmm???

have a great day

Teri - I am sitting here eating "Cherry Nirvana". It is a "dairy free" ice cream put out by "Purely Decadent". Found it in the organic section of my Giant food store. Not bad at all! ;) They have a chocolate fudge one that I am going to have to try now.

Hey you guys... better late than never.

Just wanted to chime in here Liann and tell you that I LOVE Gardenburger brand veggie burgers. They have so many good flavors like veggie medley or portabello or sun dried tomato or southwestern ( I think that's what it's called, I don't have them in the house at the moment) or even the original. The California burger flavor is more like an actual burger and is also good! I am personally not a fan of Bocca Burgers... just my personal taste I guess. Some things to do with them:

1.On the original, sun dried tomato and veggie medley I put some seasoned crushed tomatoes ( or you can use pasta sauce) on top with grated parmesian and mozzarella melted on top. MMMM.... You could have a side of whole grain pasta as well and have a whole Italian dinner. That's what I do.

2. Portabello is delicious on a multi grain pita with melted swiss and spicy mustard on it ( or ketchup)

3. Southwestern I like to put some taco cheese melted on top and then put salsa to top it all off.

4.California burgers are good on a whole wheat bun with good ol' american cheese and ketchup!

Anyway, I am addicted to all these flavors and if you haven't tried them I think you might like them! Everyone who tries them at my house loves them

Actually, you inspired me to crumble up the sun dried tomato ones into some pasta sauce and I'll add some grated cheese, onions and peppers and cook together for a while then put on pasta. That sounds pretty good!!

Gotta run to teach class. Glad you guys are doing well so far!

Liann~ Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream.....Yummy. I will have to look for that the next time I go to the market.

Viki~ Thanks so much for all of the great ideas for the veggie burgers. They will certainly help to keep things from getting boring!!

I was actually not that hungry for dinner and I had good ole corn on the cob

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.