30 Day Veggers - Day 16

Liann

Cathlete
Good morning ladies! I experimented for the first time with firm tofu last night. I cut it into strips, drained it and fried it up with some olive oil and liquid aminos for flavor. It ended up being a little too salty, so I have learned that a little liquid aminos goes a LONG way. As far as the outcome of the tofu, it was fine on the outside, but a little "odd" on the inside. More like a cheese or egg type texture. I cooked it for what felt like FOREVER, so I'm not sure if it gets any better than that or not. It wasn't bad, just jiggly like jello. My DH would NEVER have eaten it. I will have to keep experimenting. My book on tofu should be in today, so maybe that will give me some ideas.

Hope everyone is doing well. I had my usual this morning, Kashi Blueberry crunch with rolled oats mixed in and soy milk. I made myself a salad for lunch and I have some peaches and a Kashi snack bar for snacks. Not sure about dinner tonight. I'm thinking maybe soup.

Talk to you all later!!!

Hey veggers!

Sorry I haven't checked in here in a few days. Holidays are like that, ya know? :)

Liann, I find tofu difficult to get "right". As such, I rarely make it at home. My favorite tofu is from Noodles (which I don't think you have out east) www.noodles.com It's crispy-like on the outside and not-too-jiggly on the inside. :9 Yum!

I'm going to be eating salads for every meal for the next 3 weeks because (1) I can't do cardio thanks to my stupid piriformis and (2) I need to lose some weight, and that's hard to do when you can't do cardio. So I think the salad-only diet is my only option. :p Obviously, I'm in a bit of a sad funk over this whole piriformis thing, and I am going to have to be extra-careful with my eating so I don't gain weight. Blargh!

I had a big salad for dinner last night (baby greens, red bell pepper, chickpeas, mandarin oranges, sunflower seeds, sesame ginger dressing), and I have more of the same for lunch today. If nothing else, I'll be really regular. ;)

Hi veggers!

I had Kashi 7 soy milk for breakfast, sushi for lunch and salad for dinner yesterday!

Liann I find tofu always a little jiggly on the inside!

Emily your salad sounds good!

Belinda

Em - that really sucks about the piriformis issue. :( Here's a little story for you - when I was like 10, my mom and I were horsing around and she pinched my butt. Anyways, somehow the planets aligned just right and she managed to hit a nerve. I couldn't walk right for WEEKS!!! It was awful. I didn't want to go to the doctor and admit that my "mom pinched my butt" and hurt me so I suffered with it. I couldn't sit on that side of my butt either. I wasn't laughing then, but now I think it's pretty funny. Ok, I know that isn't related to your pain, but I thought it might make you laugh. ;)

I will be eating a salad for lunch today too and probably dinner if I cannot come up with anything. I wish I had remembered the chickpeas though! I have a can of those at home.

Hi guys....I have been really crazy in the office so I have not been able to check in like I should but the good news is I am still going strong!!

Liann- I had the same problem with the tofu. I described the inside and being like soggy bread! I have not been brave enough to try in again yet. My DH did try it and he told me N.E.V.E.R Again !!!!

Emily _ thanks for the link for the "crispy" tofu. I will check that out and perhaps give it another go.

Have a great Wednesday Everyone!!!!

Teri - My book on Tofu came today and there are a ton of recipes in it that show you creative ways to use tofu. A lot of the recipes just use tofu as an ingredient too, so you don't actually have chunks of it with the jello insides sitting on your plate. I'll let you know if any of the recipes are worthy of note. ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.