~~~>STS 6 Month Alumni-Spring Break<~~~

OK Well It is Spring forward day. I think I have gotten myself as ready for it as possible! I am looking forward to all the extra daylight. In the winter time it feels like you should start winding down when it gets dark so I am in my pj's by 5:30 some days , so with the extra daylight I am sure I will be outside more after work!

Although recovery week has been nice , I am ready to delve into next week. I am itching to get started and I still have not looked at this months rotation yet. Have you noticed that when you take a little time off from working out you get a renewed vigor from it when you go back? At least that is how it works out for me. I do not think I would have ever incorporated a rest week if I had not got STS so I am so glad for it because I think my body was needing that!

All I had was one little bite of the quinoa lasagna but it seemed really good and a great alternative to traditional lasagna!

Quinoa Lasagna

28 oz can peeled tomatoes
1# hamburger
2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
3 cups quinoa (cooked)
1/4 # fresh mozzerella
1/4# parmesan
1/4 cup olive oil
1tsp salt
2 tsp oregano
1 cup onion
1/2# ricotta
2 cloves of garlic

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil, add hamburger and brown. Add tomatoes and sauce, salt and oregano. Simmer
Layer , sauce, quinoa, ricotta, cheese...repeat layers ending with sauce and top with remainder of the cheese.

Note: This is what I did differently.
I did not use that much oil to saute. Probably just a couple of tablespoons. I added some mushroom and red bell pepper to the onions and garlic . ( I am always trying to get in more veges). To the ricotta , I grated more garlic and chopped some basil and parsley and spinach and mixed it together. I also added more fresh basil to the sauce.
I think that is about it and then I assemble it the way it states. I would have ate it for dinner but dh came in and wanted to go to town so we went out to dinner instead. If you try it tell me what you changed and if you like it.

I better go so I can get everything written in my calendar for the month!
Have a great DAY!
Rachel

Going to get started with Meso 3 today. Chest & Back is on schedule. I got the Christmas stuff and the scrapbooking things all sorted through yesterday. The Christmas stuff is packed and ready to take to mom's later today.

Jo I have no idea of why the weights would feel different unless you were just weaker because of being sick with your cold? It feels so good to get those cupboards/drawers cleaned out doesn't it?

cendrien That's great that you can get the kids to help clean. My ds has been a big help with my organizing projects, he's excited about the new house so it's easier to get him to want to help.

Rachael You asked before if we had used a Cathe coupon, I didn't but my birthday is this week and I've given a few hints about the push/pull tower.

Yesterday we went a bought a new mattress/boxspring on sale. We have a waterbed that is 20 years old that we love. But it's falling apart and it's not moving to the new house. We figured we might as well get the new bed before showing the home as the old one is in bad shape. Well the mattress is coming on Friday but I never saw a bed frame/headboard we liked so we might be sleeping on the floor.:eek:

Rachel,
I love Quinoa, so I will definitely try using it in place of the pasta. I kind of have my own sauces that I like with my lasagne so I will stick to them. I add mushrooms to the meat tomato sauce and grate zucchini into the white sauce and I love it with a little nutmeg and parmesan. Something else fun to try is to broil thinly sliced eggplant for a couple of minutes to soften and then use those for lasagne sheets for a veggie lasagne.
I'm glad you are looking forward to meso 3, the rest is definitely a new concept to me too. I used to be so afraid that my muscles would start going that I never skipped more than two days between weights. But it turns out even if it is true that muscle unused starts going after 72 hours, it must be in small increments because I didn't see a drastic loss even during my forced long break. Ture, I'm not lifting as heavy right now, but I'm still lifting more than the average person even after this break. So I say, I agree, breaks are good!

Kim, you sure didn't waste any time! Wow, you got the scrapbooking and the christmas done all in one day! Amazing! It probably helps to be motivated, huh?
I'm glad your friend is doing a bit better, although recovery for all will be a process, won't it?
I am toying with the idea of using a coupon for some purchases, possibly a tighter band and a mat. Tower sounds fun! I don't have any place to put it though.

Jo, I'm so glad you are getting better and had fun at the class! Kim is probably right, that maybe the weights seemed heavier because you were not at full capacity. I do know though, for me, if I was working out in company I would probably have even better form and energy and give it my all even more, if that is possible, (I think I usually give it my best, but when someone is watching I find myself trying even harder...:eek:) Not saying that you do that but that might explain why it would feel heavier to me....

So today was my last Sunday School session! Yeah! It feels so good to be done!

Hey just checking in!

It has been such a beautiful day here and I am sad to see it go! It just flew by, but that always happens when you have lots to do.

We got our living room window changed out. It took a while so that is pretty much what we accomplished today. I was on cat watch and helper duty. Anytime the cat sees something different she wants to come check it out and I had to make sure she did not bolt out of the huge hole in the wall:eek: Luckily she was just a tad curious today so it was not as hard as I thought it would be to keep her away.

Kim-Wow after sleeping on a water bed for 20 yrs, it seems like it will be weird to sleep on a regular matress. I hope yall like it. Did you have the kind of water bed that is semi water or all water. That might make a difference. Way to go on getting all you organizing done. At least the christmas and scrap booking stuff. You must have got right to it.

Cendrine_ I never thought about grating zucchini into the white sauce. I might have to try that. Since my lasagna is only for me , I do not have to worry about if dh is going to like it so I can try anything I want. And I did get to eat some of the quinoa lasagna for lunch and it was great. SO I hope you do try it.

Jo-Maybe Kim is right maybe it was because you were a little under the weather. Or maybe it was a different structure class and that might have made the difference. There is no telling. But I am glad you are enjoying your membership!

Hope you are all enjoying the extra daylight.
I am going to try to talk myself into bed early so 4am (3am) won't hurt so much!

See you tomorrow

Rachel

Since I am double posting here I'll be quick.

Started meso 3 today and I was really worried when I looked at my workout card that I was going to be a weak mess this morning and was not going to get my weight...well I ended up getting all my weight and adding a little to my incline bench and dead lift. I was surprised so it made a good start to this hard to get up day.
I did not know if it was going to be hard to get back into the swing of things...I always feel like that after so ling off but once I saw myself in the mirror in my workout clothes, I just all fell together.
Anyhow it was a great work out and I am ready for the week! Bring it ON!

Hope you are all having a great Monday!

Rachel

Sorry I missed posting yesterday...I am sick! I mean I have a really miserable cold! I went back through my logs and haven't had a cold this bad since April 2000. So spent most of yesterday on the couch sneezing, hacking, water eyes, etc and that's on top of cold medicine! And have pretty much been awake since 2:30 this morning. Anyway not looking for sympathy here just want this to go away and am going back to bed. I'll check back with you all later. Also this messed things up as I had planned to start Meso 3 yesterday. So maybe Wednesday....sigh.

You may not be looking for sympathy, but you have mine! What a drag! I was hoping you were all the way better and now you are stuck home miserable! I so detest colds! I will be thinking of you!

Rachel, I'm glad your workout went so well! Way to go on upping the weights! That's enough to make your day!

I did Muscle Max today! I did the timesaver premix which still clocks in at alomst an hour and it was enjoyable. I was going to do a circuit, but just did not feel like cardio, so I popped this one in. I had not gotten to try it yet although I've had it since before christmas, so it was fun to do it. I think I will also try travel fit again this week.

Just finished Hiit Double Wave, dd kept me company. DH dropped out of STS a few weeks ago when work got busy:rolleyes: so it was nice to have company. Yesterday, I fought disc 25 on the easy side, I don't know if I should up the weights or I was just so rested after a week off.

Cendrien I'm so excited that you're back to working out! How did you like Muscle Max? Travel Fit would be a great one for you as it's a little easier when you're just getting back into things.

Jo Don't worry about missing workouts! Just get better!!! Lots of rest for you!

Rachael I found it hard to get going with Meso 3 yesterday but now after 2 days of working out I'm so glad to be back into it. I can see how people get out of the habit of working out! I love my water bed but it's time to be replaced. I'm worried that I'm going to hate a regular bed, sometimes at the hotel or the cottage I find my back hurts on a regular mattress. But we did buy a real high end one so hopefully should be good. I had an early morning too as I got up and drove my mom to the airport at 5:30 before I got ready for work.

Good Morning...WooooHoooo!

What a workout...I hope I have it written down right because I did 30/30 with the Heavy bag bonus and I see you did the double wave, Kim so I guess I will have to go look after this to see what I might have messed up. I think the is the first time she has added on to a Hiit workout and it really changed that heavy bag bonus for me! It made it tough tough tough! Last time I did it holding three # weights and this time I had to put those down almost immediately and just hold onto my one # wrist weights! But I got it done and I was smiling almost this whole workout!

Jo-I hate it that you are sick. You don't think it came from the gym do you? My paranoid germaphobia would totally kick in, I know but that is because all the gyms I used to go to were the grungy guy kind...haha ...so I knew they were germed out and the one you are going to is sparkling! I hope you are recovering quickly. I feel like because I feel so good most of the time that some as minor as a cold can really wipe me out so I am sure since you even eat better than I do that that is why it is hitting you so hard.

Cendrine-It is great that you are getting back to working out. I am like you, I totally prefer weights to cardio. I look forward to the weight days and not so much the cardio days but I still try to put a smile on my face and make it pleasant and some times that works and sometimes I am crying on the inside..lol I still have yet to try travel fit. I need to do that!

Kim-I am always afraid that I will not start back up after recovery week but I have so far. My life is not busy with all the things you have to do though so it is not like I would have an excuse not to do it...haha
My friend , who does not work, is an on and off exerciser. She always has these excuses of why she could not do it that week or this day. Here I am getting up at 4 to get my work out in and she will tell me she did not have time or something...It's too funny. I feel I am blessed that I can maintain my weight and have an able body so I am lucky that I can do it...
We used to have a water bed when dh and I got together and it saved our lives because the first house we rented did not have very good heat and the water bed was heated. If it was not for that I probably would have froze to death.lol I think if you got a good mattress, you will grow to love it though!

OK I better get off here and go to work!

Have a great Day!
Rachel

Just finished pylo legs, ds moaned and groaned beside me. Now I'm busy watching TBL! Nothing exciting here but tomorrow is my birthday! We had a little cake a work today:D

Rachael, I'm pretty sure that it was Double wave yesterday and next week is 30/30.

Kim, if I don't remember tomorrow, Happy Birthday! You guys doing anything fun?

Rachel, sounds like you had a great workout today! Workout for me was a bike ride with the kids. It was so nice out! You guys wouldn't believe it, but dd's room (it's the room that gets hottest in the whole house) clocked in at 82°! We had the windows changed out with some special insulated windows, but to be quite honest I don't think it is delivering what they promised. And Rachel, I know what you mean by big hole in the walll! LOL ! It took them forever to get the windows changed.

Jo how are you feeling today! I do hope you are better!

Hi guys! I am better - as in the congestion is gone from sinuses but I have a little congestion in my chest and slight cough. I ended up staying in bed yesterday napping all day and then finally getting a shower around 4. I started feeling pretty good by the end of the day. Then I did go to work today but barely made it through 6 hours as I felt really tired. But I did sleep 10 hours last night so hopefully I can do that again tonight. And Rachel no I know I didn't get this at the gym. Our roomie was really sick and I know I got it from him but also this is going around my office so everywhere I turn someone is sick. Generally I don't pick up this stuff but I guess conditions were right this time and I couldn't escape it. (Sometimes we need to put our immune system to work right?) On another note, me, being a HUGE germophobic, partly why I joined this gym was the cleanliness. They have sanitizers everywhere, the locker room is spotless and spray bottles, wipes, etcs for wiping down the machines. Now I know that doesn't mean people always do it, but it makes me feel better. Also, I think they have a full-time attendent in the locker room. Oh, and...I saw someone wiping down the mats! That really impressed me! They also provide towels so I had put my towel over my mat anyway.

Rachel - way to kick a$$ on the workout!!!! I so want to get better to get started on Meso 3! But I'm not going to push myself. I want to make sure and get rid of this!

Kim, just finished TBL...what did you think about blue teams weigh-in? WOW! I felt so bad for Michael (and the grandma situation) but he is really impressing me (even though I feel so-so about him). And WOW - Sherry looked AWESOME!!!!

Cendrine, a bike ride sounds wonderful! We had another record day yesterday (65) but of course I missed it!

Talk to you all tomorrow and hopefully I'll be much better! Last thing, I know I'm ahead of everyone else (in getting better) because of zicam...I should do a commercial for them! Oh, okay, and because I'm generally very healthy, eat healthy yadda yadda!!! :eek::cool::confused::p;):D I did make myself some good immune system boosting juices the last few days.

Last edited:
HAPPY
BIRTHDAY
KIM!!!

Hope you have a great day and you get treated like the special, wonderful, mom, wife, daughter, sister, fitness enthusiast, and virtual friend YOU ARE!!!! :D;):p;):cool::D:eek::p:D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I hope you do something wonderful today!!!!!!

I decided to go with plyo so that is what it was this morning and for the most part, I was a total MACHINE!!!! I think the Hiit workouts have really helped with this work out because before when I used to go through those 30 sec. plyo drills , I would be dying at the end. Not that it is not hard but it was definitely not as hard. For a week that I thought was going to be my toughest work out week, it has sure surprised me.

Jo-You are the only person that I know in this world that can put a positive spin on being sick!!!That is why I would miss you so bad! haha...Testing the immune system ! I love it

Cendrine-That bike ride sounds like so much fun. It must really be getting warm there for dd's room to be 82 degrees! I know what you mean about people talking up their product. I wish people could just be honest!

Kim-I guess I will just have to do the double wave next week..haha No worries! I hope you have a great DAY!

Ok off for breakfast and maybe the last full day of work for the week!

Have a great day

Rachel

Happy Birthday Kim!

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Jo, I figured you'd be doing the juices and am not surprised that you are back up on your feet so fast! no doubt the 10hr sleep had something to do with this too! By the way, I cut up the sprouted Tortillas from Ezekiel's line and dehydrated them over night to make chips instead of broiling them. I suspected that they would be as crunchy and I wouldn't run into the occassional burnt edges and the energ drain on the oven. I was right, they are delish! I made a black bean, mango, avocado salsa with cilantro and limejuice to go with it and had that for lunch today. Yum!

Another beautiful and warm day today. I think I'll take the kids practicing their roller blades today.

Oh, and I did Travel Fit this morning. Its a fun workout! But I think I will get those tougher bands.

Yea Cendrine...It sounds like you are getting back on track! Spring must be good for you like it is for me.

We DH and I kicked arse and finished our job early so we have till Monday off. I did 1200 ft of base today...(the rubber stuff you see in commercial buildings that runs on the wall instead of wood) That is alot. It feels so good to get this job done and feels good to have another one lined up too.

Dh made me a little four leaf clover to wear today for St. Patricks Day and it must have been my lucky charm because we got finished!

I am going to go bask in the glory of being done and having four days off...:D

Have a great evening!

Rachel

How awesome, Rachel! Wow, I would love a few days off like that! You get a super long weekend! Nice job kicking butt!

Hey, I made another CE recipe today. It is from the current mag, the one called bulgur and lemon chicken salad or something like that. It is a keeper! I thought it looked yummy in the picture so I tried it, but it even exceeded my own expectations, it was so much better than I had thought it would and dh raved about it too. Excellent choice for a cold summer meal, too! (we had 83° weather outside today)
The kids both made some progress on their rollerblading practice today and downed what seems like gallons of water when we got home...LOL

CENDRINE!!! Yeah!!!! Sounds like you're BACK! I'm so glad to hear about your workouts!!!!!

RACHEL!!!! You are a LUCKY CHARM and a LEAN MEAN FIGHTING MACHINE!!!!

You girls are rocking the day!!!

Okay, I'm another day closer to being back! Had another good night sleep but had to be at work early today. About noon it felt like everything moved into my ear! I had a major earache with the roof of my mouth feeling sore?!?! Then after about two hours that was gone (no stopping yet on the ZICAM). Anyway, I have my my stuff ready to go tomorrow for maybe starting Meso 3 but I'll see how I feel when I wake up. I know it will be there for me no matter what.

Okay and today I wore a cute cute green hand knit short sleeve sweater over a green long sleeve t-shirt and...drum roll...my lucky lucky green striped socks! They are predominantly green with yellow, raspberry and orange accent stripes. I was cute as a shamrock!

Rachel, enjoy the rest of your week off! I hope the weather is wonderful for you and you get to enjoy a nice long weekend! So sweet of DH to make you a clover!

Cendrine, I hope your recovery continues and you are Meso'ing any minute now! The tortillas sound very interesting!

Kim, hope the day was special, sweet and wonderful. You are obviously your families LUCKY CHARM!

I'm off to read and get another good night sleep! Oh and remember I signed up for CE magazine? I still haven't received one yet...boohoo! I want to try the yummy recipes you all are trying! The lemon chicken sounds good!

Good Morning!!!!
Although I had to get up at 4:30 because the cat was starving, I crawled back in bed and snoozed off and on until almost 7 and it felt wonderful. Then I had an overwhelming feeling like today was going to be a great day so I just had to get out of bed and get on with it!!!!! I think I am going to try to throw some spring cleaning into this weekend too. Not alot but some things that do not get done that often.

My niece turns the big 13 next Wednesday and so we are going to have hair day on Saturday. That will take the whole day probably from going to get her to our 10 o clock appointment then of course we will have to eat some time too. It is going to be fun. She is my only niece so it is totally alright that I tell her all the time that she is my favorite. She is a lot like me. She does not really fuss too much about what she looks like but every once in a while she likes to get dolled up. Her hair is super long so I can not wait to see what she gets done to it.

Cendrine-I liked the look of that lemon chicken with bulgur too. I have to get things like the bulgur from the health food store and I always forget to do that when I go. It is about a 30 min. drive one way so I try to but in bulk when I go but I might try to go this weekend.
You sound like you are getting your vigor back. I am so glad you have gotten the extra stress off of you !

Jo-I am glad you are giving yourself time to recover before jumping into Meso 3 because I think you are going to need all the energy you can muster! I decided to stick with it instead of doing the slow and heavy. Is that what you are going to do? I am glad you are starting to get better.
I love the description of the outfit! I could really picture it!

Kim-Your family must have kept you really busy on your birthday! I hope you had a great one.

I am off to ground and pound with MMA Fusion!

Have a great DAY!

Rachel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.