\~*\ CHEETAHS /*~/ ... Sleepless on Sunday!!!

Brighton

Cathlete
Good (Early) Morning, Cheetahs! :D

Yeah. So insomniac cheetah in the den again... Around 1am I noticed DD2 making some sounds on the baby monitor, didn't think too much about it and went back to sleep. Then about 45 min - 1 hour later I heard her again. Started to worry, so I decided to check on her... She was just happy as could be, reading a book by the glow of her nightlight! Too funny. I was able to convince her that she could read in the morning, and that she probably needed to go back to sleep... and then I was wide awake. :confused: So I thought I'd take advantage of the quiet to catch up with my Cheetah peeps! :)

Well, still not on the workout wagon this week... I had a much-needed break yesterday, and I think the rest is doing me some good-- body & soul. :)
Also, a MILLION thanks to everyone for your kind words and all your support. You have no idea how much it means to me, and it has been so wonderful receiving all your feedback. Thanks for giving me a much-needed lift. :)

I did get some good news yesterday, though! My *team* drew out in the lottery for the Canyonlands Half in March! :) It's DH, my close girlfriend from Chicago (been friends since the 3rd grade!) and myself. The race starts in Canyonlands National Park and winds its way into downtown Moab-- gorgeous, gorgeous!!!!!!! We're really excited-- though I think DH is a little nervous... but glad to have something to work toward. Yay! :D

We are having a crazy blizzard here this weekend. It took me an hour to get home from Provo yesterday, which is only 15 min away normally. Counted 10 separate accidents on the interstate. I am grateful to have so many Chicago winters under my belt-- and a 4-wheel drive vehicle! :eek:

Laura - Sorry I haven't introduced myself yet... things have been a tad stressful in my neck of the woods lately. A little about me... I'm a 30... soon-to-be 31 year old SAHM of two toddlers, DS is 3 1/2 and DD is 2. I was born & raised in the Chicago area but now claim Utah as my home. Came out here for college (studied English & Liberal Arts), and married a local boy. :) I'm about an hour's drive away from both SLC & Park City. Prior to having children I was a competitive swimming coach for high school & club teams. DH & I are fledgling triathletes-- we did a couple over the past year & fell in love with the 3 disciplines involved. We are both former swimmers, so it's been fun to get back to competitive sport again. I think it's fascinating that you are living in Uganda! And yep, I'm a Cheetah newbie as well-- I started posting... a month ago? It's a fantastic group of ladies-- so supportive! Too funny about your DH's skiing experience! We enjoy being so close to the skiing out here-- just wish we made it up the slopes more often!

So... what's this I'm hearing about a FiberOne bar fan club??? I am SO there. :D DH takes them for breakfast on those crazy days he's running out of the house before 6am... I have to have him keep them in his truck so I'm not constantly mooching them! ;)

Cathy - Got your card! Yay! :D So fun!!! LOL 'bout "Last Christmas"... feel the same way! :) Yeah... I've been toying with the idea of raising money for the cancer center here with the 26.2 in April... It definitely would give added meaning & incentive to the entire experience. Think you just gave me the nudge I needed. :)

Dallas - ITA about Illinois politics. And #18?????? Wow. What does that say about the top 17? :eek: Oh and that story about your robe? Priceless. :D

Wendi - Haunted basement?!?! Oh my! I'm at least glad to know she's looking out for you at any rate. ITA with everyone on the story-- do tell! :)

Carole - Have fun in sunny L.A.! :) Sounds nice here from Blizzardville. Those portobello mushrooms with the chipotle mashed potatoes sound like a little slice of heaven! :)

Wendy - Sorry to hear about your 9/11 experiences... :( I still remember that day vividly even though I was on the other side of the country... ITA about "Christmas Shoes"... First time I heard it-- bawled like a baby! :eek:

Christine - LOL about the phone count-- it's funny how you just accumulate those, isn't it? :) LOL about the "Breyer" horse!!! Too funny!

Gloria - LOL about Pachebel mixing it up with the Beastie Boys. Sounds like my playlist. :) Nothin' weird about it. :D Hope you get the rest you need.

Jackie - Love the card! :) Thanks so much.

Shelly - Big congrats to your brother!!! :D That is terrific! Hope you were able to get all the shopping done! :)

Posh - Hey proud mama! :) Congrats to DD! I'm feelin' ya on all those Christmas projects piling up! :eek: I've been editing this week in the wake of everything going on! I love those Alive! vitamins-- totally swear by them! :D The company that makes those is seriously just minutes from my place.

Karen - LOL about the John Denver song-- never heard that one! Back in the day my parents played the John Denver & the Muppets Christmas album for us kiddos... Ah, the memories! :) (((HUGS))) and hope all is well.

Warm hellos to Linda, Judy, and anyone else in the den today! Now, I'm off to try and get some more sleep! :confused:

Brighton--Thanks for the intro. Sounds like we have some things in common. I studied English and French in college. I also enjoy swimming. My mom has swum laps for exercise all my life--I love that I have that has a "way of life" example from her. So I grew up around a pool. I only swam competitively for one year. I did well, but it was really stressful for me. (Track was the same way for me in high school, but somehow I stuck that one out. I always said, "I love to run, but I HATE track." If you know what I mean). Anyway, the 50 fly was "my" event, and I always swam the fly leg of the medley relay. I also swam the 100 freestyle. But I was terrible at the back stroke. I did get my lifesaving certificate and even lifeguard instructor--I used it at summer camp, helping to instruct the lifeguards and then guarding for all the campers. So I can talk "swimming" with you if you want. :D

And, yes, there does seem to be a FiberOne bar fan club developing. Eating one of the caramel ones with an apple is like having a caramel apple! :p The peanut butter ones are also good with an apple.

Dallas—I love Sudoku, so your analogy is great. Things are really coming together now for me with this check-in. My other friend Dallas—that was really her name. (And she was from Texas!) I grew up in AR but married a Texan, so in the States that is now my home.

Wendy—No, you didn’t miss anything. I was just making an assumption that folks would associate Africa with “third world.” There are many big cities and lots of technology across Africa. But the infrastructure is still weak. So, we have paved roads, but they have potholes. We have running water, but it goes off every night. We have electricity, but it goes off unexpectedly (bad connections, poles getting eaten by termites, etc.). Also, as third world countries grow, the infrastructure can’t keep up with the demand. More and more people in Uganda want power, but the hydroelectric plant on the Nile wasn’t built for the demand that we have now. So they have us on a rotation—only certain people get power at certain times, because they don’t have enough power to turn everyone on at the same time. It’s kind of like when the population in our big cities in the US outgrows the roads, and new bypasses, etc. have to be built. But in Africa, they’re just much, much slower to catch up with demand. So we live with bad roads and power shortages. Hence the battery back-up system for our electricity.

Carole--those portobello mushrooms stuffed with mashed potatoes sound delicious. I'll have to try them. Last night I made the butternut squash lasagna for the first time and LOVED it. Since I'm not vegan, I do use real cheese in the recipes when she calls for vegan mozarella, so I can't vouch for the recipe as written, but the vegetarian version I made last night was delish! I just love that cookbook.

I’m enjoying the rest day today. I slept late, then got up and went to church. We had a big youth conference this weekend, so they were in charge of all the music this morning. It was great: the youth groups from each different area had a choir, and they all presented songs. It was very energetic--much like what I think the "stereotypical" idea of African music is. It was a fun morning.

Last edited:
Good morning, cheetahs, and HAPPY SUNDAY!
th_smileyornament.gif

Christine—oh, you are right—we shouldn’t look gift horses in the mouth, but sometimes ya gotta have a little chuckle.
th_biggrin.gif
I guess I don’t feel bad about saying the gifts from my aunt stunk because she was the type who would bargain shop all year long, and then just give people random stuff. She means well, but well,…whatever. *lol*

Wendy—it was always very exciting opening gifts from her because I knew I could count on something bizarre, and the challenge would be to act really pumped about it. *lol* Went with just a trim. I’m happy with my style. Just wish when I blow it out it would like when the pro does it!
th_grinsign.gif
Happy shopping today. What's left on your to-buy list?

Dallas—Sorry you are not feeling well. Rest is good… Yeah, I’m extremely pleased to have had a good run yesterday. I’ll shoot for 4-5 today (w/ hills) and see what happens. I do feel a little “tired” in the ITB area but it’s not the kind of pain I had during & after some of the recent runs. I hope things go well for you with your test run next week. How does the hip feel otherwise? So did you find a new hiding spot for the gifts? I absolutely BAGGED UP at the full body velour robe. Wish we had a picture of that one. :D You’re welcome for the card. I received yours, too—thank you! I laughed when I opened the envelope because I almost picked up the same cards when I was in the store. The snowflake is beautiful—the feeling is mutual! I found these cards online while I was looking for something else running-related, and they were too cute to resist. To jump in and add my
twocents.gif
about kettlebells, I’ve purchased all 4 of my GoFit kettelbells from either Target or Dick’s (I have a 15, two 20s, and a 25) and started with the two Iron Core workouts. TBH, I get very little use out of these (the ICs) and quickly outgrew the 15. In retrospect, I think I would have made wiser purchases if I’d gone with Pavel’s Enter the Kettlebell book & DVD for training purposes, start with an 8kg (18 lbs.) bell, and move onto AoS Providence.

Gloria—Usually I am not out in the madness this late in December, but I am doing the same—trying to be extra nice to the cashiers. I feel for them. I did some shopping yesterday in a well-heeled area near where I get my hair cut, and I couldn’t believe I had two drivers in the parking lot almost run me down, and THEY gave ME dirty looks! :eek: Then I really had to laugh because one woman was holding up a line of traffic, leaning into the driver’s side window of a car, her ample derriere way out in the street (granny got back!), so she could give her husband a smooch.
th_lol.gif
Gotta love people! Yes, my kids this year are very social—they love to share. Good kids. But I am having to do more redirecting than usual lately. Hard to fault them—I am just as excited at the prospect of break!! But I know what you mean—we feel bad, but we do have a job to do. Glad you liked the card. Oh goodness, yes, we do receive a lot of mugs, don’t we? But I'm with ya—they have very generous hearts, so I just appreciate being thought of. Especially at the M.S. level, it’s not that common. Totally understand the need to pass on the social outing.

Brighton—insomnia's no fun. Hope you were able to log in a few more zzz’s. Congrats on the team landing a spot in the Canyonlands Half! Running for the cancer center sounds like a wonderful idea to me. I think it will help you feel like you are giving your friend another layer of support while doing something tangible to help others, too. Awww, John Denver & the Muppets. That brings back some memories.

Laura—enjoy your rest day & hope you have a greak kickoff to training tomorrow.

Posh—yo, homes! Hope you're findin' some time to HYDRATE. Oh-so-important, you know. :D

th_xmashearth.gif

Holiday QOD (question of day) for anyone who wants to play:
Do you have any unique family tradition(s)? Please share.
Today will be ba, bi, and legs plus a run. Miles will depend on how the leg feels, but I'd like to shoot for 4-5.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Last edited:
Cathy--Your QoD is great for me because it fits right in with the music question. My DH's family always listened to the John Denver and the Muppets music when he was growing up while they opened presents Christmas morning. So now, he does the same for our kids. :D I was a big muppet fan when I was growing up but had never heard the Christmas music till I got married. So it's fun for me, even though it wasn't my tradition.

My family's tradition while I was growing up was that we bought a new ornament each year that reflected something significant we had done. EG the year we went to Hershey, Penn, we bought a Hershey's ornament. The year that I was in the musical Snoopy! we bought a Peanuts ornament. Etc. It was fun to decorate the tree and remember special events with each thing that went on the tree.

Good Morning Cheetahs.

I am eating breakfast now in hopes of getting to my work out soon. I'd really prefer not to take a rest day today if I can help it.

Laura: Generally speaking, I ofcourse know Africa is a third world country but I didn't want to make assumptions about the particular city you live in because I know there is some amount of technology depending upon where you go. Thanks for the explanation. Clears it right up for me! :)

Cathy: I feel your pain re trying to copy styles that the professionals give you. I can't do it either. Though I must say, I don't always WANT to. Lots of times I HATE them! LOL My Christmas list is almost fully in tact, I hate to say....I have to buy for my sister's 6 kids (they will be easy though: a gift card for each plus chocolates or something else small) , Sal's parents, his 2 sisters, BIL and neice and nephew, my mom's SO and Sal. :eek: I am only done shopping for my mom and my son. LOL about looking forward to opening your aunt's gift cause you never knew what crazy item you'd receive! :D

Brighton: Cute story about your DD last night. Sorry about the insomnia. It seems to make it's rounds through the den from time to time. Is a nap a possibility for you today?

QOD: For years my mom would host Christmas Eve where all of my aunts/uncles and cousins would come over (not that there were many...LOL) and we'd hang out and eat finger foods and the kids would get small gifts and we'd have blast. Once the kids got older my mom started a grab bag for fun. It was basically a bunch of junk that she no longer wanted and would wrap up and give away grab bag style to our relatives. They were allowed to either pick from the bag or take the gift that any of the previous participants had already opened. There was always one gift that was decent and everyone would fight over it! LOL

My work out is done and I'm about to hit the road. I'm in a crappy mood right now for some reason so I am hoping to feel better after my appt. We are supposed to go Christmas shopping later. I can't go if I start out wanting to rip someone's head off before we even set foot in a store! :eek::p

Hope everyone is having a pleasant morning.

I'll pop back in later on...

Toodles.

Good Morning Cheetahs!

Wendy – Hope you have fun shopping today! Did you get up early enough to get in the weight work? Sounds like you had a good time Friday night. Your family tradition sounds like a blast! What an inventive way to regift or get rid of things you don’t need!

Dallas – Oh I HATE when I close the wrong window. I’ve done that many times! I’ve been kind of all over with this one – tummy issues, cold… Oh well. I know I will feel better. No, I haven’t heard for Rachel Cosgrove’s rotation. I haven’t been using kettlebells ever since I hurt my back. I’m sure I’m fine now, and will get back into them as my endurance training starts to kick in, but for now I’m enjoying weights. :p

Gloria – see, I LOVE big mugs – I can be lazier that way! :D But I would think even I would be overwhelmed by the generosity of the coffee mug set. And YES, I definitely prefer online shopping, although yesterday was fun as we went to a funky little town and shopped downtown. I wanted to find unusual things that you can’t find in a mall. The even had courtesy valet parking. Everyone was in such a good mood – so different than the usual Christmas shopping mood. I would love to read some of your student’s articles. Can you email one to me? If not, I understand.

Brighton – oh I remember DD15 doing things like that when she was 2. It’s adorable, but you’re right – does make for a restless night for mom! Hope you did get some sleep! Oh cool! The half you got in to sounds fun! Oh I’ve heard about the weather out your way. I guess the Sierras are getting hit, too – the ski resorts will open in time for Christmas.

Cathy – Oh! I didn’t mean to imply that we shouldn’t laugh at some of the gifts we get! My story was just that I knew that horse was given to me with so much love and desire to please that for me, it was totally selfish not to appreciate it. I think it’s more that I need to appreciate the people and over look the gifts. You know what I mean – I wasn’t dissing anyone! And there are many people out there who DO give gifts without any thought. DH and I ended our shopping spree yesterday with a glass of merlot at a local restaurant. We’re sitting at the bar, and in breezes a woman who sits beside me. She spent her entire time beside me complaining about shopping for other people. She said she would much rather be out there spending money on herself, and it just totally pissed her off that she had to spend money on others. She finally moved down to a different bar stool and I was happy as I would have soon said something completely rude. She probably gives horrid gifts.

I think I’ll do weights today. I’m a little congested and don’t really want to push too hard on cardio. No, I’m not any sicker, in fact I’m feeling better – I just want to skip the meds today. Since I have time today, I’m thinking maybe the Time Savers of the GS series – and just the standing leg work. Then it’s wrapping Christmas presents, and making a nice bean soup for dinner tonight. :D Oh yeah, and football in there. Have a good day all!

QOD – When I was growing up, Christmas was the only time when mom was allowed to spend money on us girls as money was tight. So we had tons of gifts, but most of them were usually very practical – underwear, toothbrushes, socks, things like that. So I find myself doing the same thing. The kids tease me constantly about their Annual Christmas Toothbrush. But, I did notice that when DD19 put together a Christmas stocking for her boyfriend, it included a toothbrush. :D

Cathy--Yes, you're right. Africa is huge, ranging from 1st world to 3rd world and everything in between. I appreciate the fact that you knew that! :D I assumed that everyone would assume third world because most people do. (OK, that was a confusing mouthful.) Anyway, there are just lots of people that don't realize the wide variety of living standards that we have in Africa. Thanks for being one of the insightful ones!

"Today will be ba, bi, and legs plus a run. Miles will depend on how the leg feels, but I'd like to shoot for 4-5."

Cathy ~ I don't know why, but your "be, ba, bi...." made me think bada bing, bada boom I don't know...I'm delirious. DS5 was up all night with the stomach flu. :eek:

I just made it to the kitchen, so I'll make some coffee and read/post.

OK, coffee is NOT going to cut it. I will nap with DS later. The rest of the fam went ahead with the Santa breakfast. :( Poor little guy. He was so upset. I told him we could snuggle and watch Christmas movies today. :) We watched It's a Wonderful Life last night. That is one of my fav Christmas movies. :)

I always wonder why kids get sick in the middle of the night after running around like a crazy person all day. :confused: All the layers of bedding I have to do today. :( Oh well, that's the way it goes.

Wendy ~ Thanks. I did get into KB's last year at this time with IC 1&2 and a 15# KB. That's all I have right now. Hope you get into a better mood before you shop. Maybe it's the anticipated shopping that's making you feel that way?? ;)

Gloria ~ That's why I shop early...I can't stand the crowds, traffic, grumpy people, etc. *lol'd* about the coffee mug gift. What would be the ideal teacher gift? I've done manicure certificates in the past. This year I'm doing a movie gift card w/a movie sized candy wrapped together. :) No, not overstepping your bounds at all. Thanks for your input. Have you heard "Christmas Canon" then? I have weird premixes too. ;) Your welcome re: the card. It's good you listened to your body. It's fun to go out, but this is an exhausting time of the year.

Brighton ~ That's cute about your DD. I remember loving hearing them baby talk and play on the monitor. Hope you get some rest today. Yeah, scary that we (Illinois) were ranked #18! IA about having some good driving skills from our crazy weather. ;) Glad the robe story made you smile. :)

Laura ~ Loved reading your post to Wendy. it makes me appreciate flipping the switch and presto - light, etc. :) What a great overall experience for your kids. Which cookbook were you referring to in your post to Carole?

Cathy ~ I know someone just like your Aunt. You reminded me of a long list of gifts I have gotten from her. lol :p Good luck with your run today. My hip feels pretty good. I did a B&G premix last week and no problem, however that didn't seem to bother it anyway (strange, I know). So, don't jump right into AOS re: KB's? Thanks for the advice. I just know I'll give in to the temptation soon. I saw that you cancelled your STS order. I've been deliberating about that myself. Do you still use/like your KB workouts? re: the robe picture...I know there's a picture around somewhere. :eek: Don't think that will make it to the online photo album. ;):p Oh, I think I need a new invite to the Cheetah social group? Apparently, my new/old username ;) didn't transfer.

Christine ~ Here's the links:

http://www.figureathlete.com/free_online_article/training/attack_the_fat_in_8_weeks_phase_one&cr=

http://www.figureathlete.com/free_online_article/training/attack_the_fat&cr=

Curious to see what you think?

That's right, hope the back is on the mend. Your day sounded like the day I wanted to have...hopefully, tomorrow wrapping and soup making. I have a Italian Bean recipe I've been wanting to make again. Glad you're feeling better. Me too, now have to work on the rest of the house.:confused:

Hi to all who follow.

Oh, QOD: Growing up we would always go to my Grandma's with a bazillion cousins and anxiously wait the arrival of Santa. They really went all out! It was so much fun! :) We'd be looped up on sugar! :eek: It would take forever to go to bed when we finally got home. A recent tradition I started I found this advent house that has little doors w/numbers and each morning the kids look forward to opening it. It's just little things, but they get super excited each morning.:)

Have a great day!

Dallas - I think her routine looks good - but I would add more cardio. I don't think all cardio with no weights is good and I don't think all weights with no real cardio is good for long term health. Of course if you're training for something specific, you will end up focusing on one or the other more. Of course, I don't have her figure. :p I love your memory of your Christmas as a child!

So, I ended up nixing weights all together and took advantage of the lull between storms and took Jimmy for a 5 mile run. It was good to get out. It was cold, though - well, cold for here. :rolleyes:

Wendy—I am lucky because my stylist never disappoints. Well, there was one exception earlier this year when the shampoo assistant left too much product in my hair, and it led to a disagreement. I’d considered going elsewhere, but we worked it out and all is good. J Hope you can snap out of your bad mood. Although weekend Christmas shopping in the middle of December might not be much help in that department!!

Christine—I know you weren’t suggesting that! J But I still agree with your point. That is cute that DD15 is carrying on the toothbrush tradition. Both my mom and dad grew up with very little, and so in turn, we were given some toys but also very practical or simple things, too. For example, always used to get oranges in our stockings. That was a real big deal for them when they were growing up. I think it's good not to spoil kids too much...Cardio is tough to do when you're all stuffed up. Good plan with the weights...So, how'd the wrapping go? I've been doing some of that myself this weekend. I enjoy it. ETA: I see you went out for a run, after all. Glad you enjoyed it!

Laura—Oh, your comment re: Africa must be meant for Wendy...LOVED your ornament tradition! So much that I think I may need to adopt it! What a wonderful idea. What is the ornament for this year?

Dallas—aww, sorry the little one’s sick. Oh, I forgot or didn’t realize you already had kb’s and IC 1&2. By all means then, dive into Providence…Cancel STS? No way—not me. Must have me mixed up with somebody else. My favorite kb workouts are AoS…I haven’t used them in awhile, but I do consider them a worthwhile investment for me. Great workouts! I would say there are my 2nd favorite after Cathe...*lol* about the picture of the robe staying buried in the vault.

I’ve been running around doing different things, including the last of my shopping. So glad to have THAT out of the way!! Still need to finish up cards and do some other odds n’ ends. But for now, I’m off to work out. Sunday seems to be slipping away from me. You know how that goes.

Unique tradition—probably that Christmas Eve is the more celebrated of the two days for my family. We've always opened our gifts on Christmas Eve as per German tradition.

I'm fondly remembering one thing we used to do when we were kids was pile into somebody's van or station wagon, and my uncle would take us to this local house of lights. It was truly a fantastic display. I remember my father always saying he wouldn't want to have that guy's electric bill. (This was Mr. Conservation who would chase you aound the house, turning lights off behind you. :)) Santa Claus was there, too. But the thing that always fascinated me was this miniature village which had a moving train set and boats and all these little houses. I could just stand there and look at it forever.

I would say a unique modern tradition is our newly-adopted gift-swap-with-a-twist. It's just so much fun.

Alrighty, by popular demand, the "Tale Of My Roommate"...I'll try to keep this as brief (HA!:eek:) as possible.

I do need to give a little background first....

I was housing a very old barn cat down in a room that's kind of an off-shoot of my walkout basement. The back two rooms of my house (where I am sitting right now) were once an enclosed porch so there's an area right under where I'm sitting as I type this that is nothing more than a dirt floor and some hastily framed out walls to make a "room" of a sort...really just useless space:rolleyes:. Well, Roadkill (that was the kitty's name, given out of love cuz she was about 20-some-odd years old, pretty scrawny, and she would lay under the cars at the farm and look like roadkill so that became her name:D) wasn't going to survive another hard winter at the farm so I brought her home to care for her during her last month with me. I LOVED this cat...sweetest thing I have EVER met! When I would get home from work I'd take her out in the back yard and she would walk with me, right at my heel like a dog and we'd cuddle and just enjoy one another's company.

There was no light source of any kind in Roadkill's room so I simply put a table lamp on the floor and ran an extension cord under the door and across the length of my basement to the only outlet down there. I ALWAYS(!!!!!) left the switch on the lamp in the "ON" position and plugged/unplugged the cord because trying to get in and out of the door to Roadkill's room could be tricky in the dark cuz she would try to run out.

I went down one Thursday night before bowling (DSO was here) to feed her, went to plug in the cord but realized that it was still plugged in from the morning's visit and I had forgotten to unplug it. Alright, no biggie. I head back toward the room and notice that I couldn't see any light coming from around the door. Okay, no problem, just thought I had to change the bulb. So I went back down with a new bulb, found my way into the room and to the lamp by the light of my cell phone. I then turned the lamp switch to "OFF", pulled off the shade, unscrewed the old bulb, screwed the new one in and the bulb LIT UP! Now, remember the lamp was always "ON", I turned it "OFF", and NOW it was back "ON":confused:???? That would mean that somehow the switch on the lamp got turned to "OFF" before I went to change the bulb...hope that's not too confusing. Okay, so I think, "well that's kind of weird" but shrug it off (as I have done on numerous occassions when weird things would happen...like kitchen cabinet doors that would open themselves:confused:). I go to put the shade on and notice that half of the lampshade is charred, like really burnt! Half of the shade had seperated from the wire frame and had fallen onto the bulb at some point during the day and would probably have started a fire.

Now, my question is this....who/what shut that light off???? There's no way Roadkill did it:p. Only three people have keys to my house...my mother in MA (nope, not her), my DSO (nope, not him) and me (well, duh, no!). There is NO way to get into that room from the outside without destroying the door and latch. So, I ask again, who did it?

Now, the kind of creepy part...there is a *very* large charred area on one of the basement walls and this little "incident" happened within 5' of that mark. I don't know the history of the house so I don't know anything about the fire that obvious took place here. My neighbor did say that there was a very sweet elderly woman who lived here when they first moved next door (about 30ish years ago) who died very shortly after moving out of this house and into a nursing home. Could it be that she's still here, looking after her house? I actually find it oddly comforting to think that she's here checking up on me:).

So, after I told my DSO just what happened and the little hairs stood up on the back of his neck too (and he's a real skeptic!) I went to the basement door and actually said aloud "Thank you!" and left it at that.

Not more than a week or so later, Roadkill finally decided that it was her time and I took her to the vet to end her suffering, sobbing the whole way (I'm tearing up right now:eek:).

For the next week I just didn't have the heart to clean up her room...there was some food left, her little nest that she had made for herself from the hay and horse blankets that I brought home from the barn for her remained undisturbed, with a perfect little impression left in it from where she would sleep. I left the door closed and figured I'd get to it one day.

Well, I go down to get the laundry one day and the door is WIDE OPEN!!! It's impossible for this door to open by itself...the latch is sooooo tight you have to lean against it with your bodyweight to get it to give. I actually wasn't that upset by this and simply said, again aloud, "I miss her very much, too. I WILL clean it up, I promise. Thank you for reminding me." I closed the door and that was the last I've heard from my roommate since and that was probably about 3 years ago. It's been quiet since.

Sooooo, that's my story. Not *seriously* spooky but there's just NO OTHER explanation for what happened.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.......

Last edited:
I love this QoD thing and love reading everyone's responses. Thanks Cathy!

Worst Gift - Wow, there have been sooo many:p! It would have to be this top I got from my great grandmother that was basically a white sweatshirt with a giant denim "V" on the front, *embellished* with fringe and fake rhinestones:eek::confused::eek:!!!! YIKES!

Family Tradition - Like Laura, we used to add a new ornament from someplace we had visited that year. Saddly, as the family has broken up (divorce, deaths, what not) there are no longer any surviving traditions. I have kept with the new ornament theme as best as I can but I never go anywhere so, there ya go *shrugs*.

Brighton - OMG, you and I must have been on the same wavelength:eek:. I had a pretty good bit of insomnia last night (having problems with bosshole) and, coupled with being sick, I found myself wide awake from 1-3am. I was thiiiiiiis close to getting out of bed and starting the thread with the EXACT same thread title...now THAT'S spooky;)! Awww, but very cute about DD! Huge congrats on the half!!! Uggh, stay safe out there, 4WD or no, 'kay:)? BTW, had to chuckle at your quote from Morpheus...will have to remember that one if I ever get out to run again:rolleyes:.

Laura - I love reading about life in Uganda...VERY interesting! Please keep sharing:D. Interesting about the power-sharing and no running water at night...must have been quite an adjustment at first. Glad you had a wonderful morning at church!

Cathy - OMG, your post to Gloria about your adventures in the parking lot had me cracking up!!! Like Dallas, I got a good laugh out of your workout when I read it outloud:p...how did the run go? We used to go for a drive to check out all the lights on Christmas Eve, too:). LOL about Mr. Conservationist! I think I might be adopting your Christmas Eve Present Opening tradition this year since I'll be working Christmas...sigh:(. You are so right about doing what you can workout-wise and not feeling guilty about it...as hard as that is for me:p.

Wendy - Oh gosh, hon, I had no idea that you were that close to the events of 9-11. I can't even imagine, nor would I want to. Wow:(. Um, I hope your mood cleared up for you before you headed out into the fray. I'd be very askeered for anyone who might get in your way:p:eek:! Don't even get me started on my issues with the bosshole as of late:rolleyes::mad:.

Christine - Had to LOL at two things....the toothbrush and the Breyer. My father's parents always gave us stockings full of emery boards, tissues, tic-tacs, a pickle, a Whitman's sampler, scratch-off ticket and then, my favorite, white pepper. EVERY year we got a thing of white pepper. I ask you, how much white pepper could one person possibly go through in a year:confused:??? Besides the fact that I *loathe* white pepper. You know, that odd colored horse could be worth a pretty penny if it was some funky production error. I'm actually not kidding! Gosh, you just reminded me that I really need to get all of mine on eBay...I know that I have a bunch that are actually worth $$$$. I do love your take on that though about thinking of the love behind the gift...so many people forget that. Glad to hear that you had a nice run today...sounded like you needed it. Hope you're 100% soon!

Dallas - Yuck, sorry to hear about DS's bout of stomach flu:(. Hope you were able to share that nap time and some good Christmas movies with the little guy. Oooh, Italian Beans...sounds yum-my! I TA about "Christmas Canon"...love it! Yup, just trying to rest up (as much as is possible with work) so this crud is outta here ASAP.

Judy - Hope you're just uber-busy and didn't get walloped by the storm a few days ago:confused:.

Gloria - ITA about being very patient and kind to the clerks...I always feel so sorry for them as people can get pretty ugly this time of year. I usually try to get em to laugh or something:). LOL about the Christmas mugs. Can't blame ya for wanting to stay in tonight...sometimes you've gotta!

Hi to the rest of the den!

Still no workouts to report. As I wrote to Brighton^^^ had some insomnia (NOT like me!) due to work issues and this cold. I'm hoping to be up to snuff by Tuesday or so. I miss my workout time in the morning:(...gets me going and puts me in a great frame of mind to tackle the day. I SOOOOOOO could use some of that right now...oh well *shrugs*.

I really should hit the hay for tonight. Have a good night ladies!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.