=====Kettlebellers Thursday=====

Here we go:

Imax 3 combos 1-5, but I subbed a plyo movement for interval 4 because that one kills my knees. I also made up a really good ab routine: it's 3 rounds, 30 seconds each exercise of:

Bicycles
Knee ups on bar
Wood Chops
Plank
Bicycles

and a 30 second rest between rounds. I think next time I will do a 40 second work/10 second rest between each ex. for 3 or 4 rounds because the 30 second rest was a bit too long, even if I only got 2 rests.

Deanie, there is SOME leg work in SIM, but it feels like nothing for my body type. In each round there is one leg exercise: dbl kb squats, sumo squats, and behind the neck squats. Only 1:30 minutes for lower body. You, of course, do use lower body for much of the other kb exercises but if you have strong thighs and glutes you aren't really getting that much work.

Gayle, how is Rascal today?

Jane, how was your run? Okay, so after Caius kills Irina, Garrett holds back Tanya but all chaos lets loose because Alice shows up with the Amazonians. After hearing what they have to say, Aros decided he REALLY wants Renesmee now and the witnesses, who were scared before, now see what the Vultari are all about and everyone starts fighting. Jacob takes off with Renesmee... that's as far as I have gotten now. I am imagining something about Rosalie being a little repentent after the fighting is over (because she just needs to grovel a bit over something), and Jasper being able to have some mega-awesome fights in battle because - well, he is the man when it comes to war and I would have loved to see him. It's not great, but also not as anticlimatic as the book was. I am obviously overthinking this and may be just a tad obsessive. :p

Andilynn, I am glad you are enjoying STS! I couldn't quite justify the cost, and I am not sure I really like that kind of weight work, but everyone really seems to like it a lot. :)

Marcy, could you please explain Windshield Wipers to me? I haven't heard of that one before.... and I hate dropping to my knees, too! I know it happens, and we need it sometimes but I feel like such a weenie when I do it, lol.

Rhonda, I would love to find something that would motivate DH to get movin'! He is a gamer, big time, and he works 8-8, so he really does need time to relax in the evening but I always save the mowing for him because he spends so much time sitting. He keeps saying that he'd like to take tae kwon do with DS... and he's been saying it for 2 and a half years... Oh, and there are lots of things that I KNOW God didn't give me because he knew I would misuse or handle it the wrong way, like a rich family. Sometimes I feel like I have it all because my life is so wonderful but when I think about how I could handle money selfishly I know that's why I have been given the husband I have; not sure how that sounds, but I love him to death and am very grateful for him.

I am just cracking up about the Lysol comment, lol! I don't think they sanitize between girls, and I don't know how sanitized some of the girls would be - not to be uppity but
a completely pure virgin could be all over that and I wouldn't wanna touch it... ew... maybe we should end it there, lol :eek:

Okay, important question - probably the most important question you will answer all day! What do you ladies listen to while you work out? I am looking for some stuff to add to my playlist. I have: Metro Station, Paramore, Britney Spears (I'm not ashamed to admit it :p), Garbage, some Fatboy Slim, AC/DC, All-American Rejects among others. What's on your mp3 player?

Have a great day y'all!

Missy

Hi Everyone,

I had a great run last night. The heat didn't bother me at all. Here is my workout for tonight.

Crazy 8's
8 Rounds
8 Pull ups
8 Box Jumps (up and over)
8 Burpees :confused:
8 Heavy Swings
8 Push ups
8 Lunges (alt-in place)
8 Renegade Manmakers
8 Slam Balls (might sub jingle jangles)

Missy ~ Great workout today! I'm lovin' your version of Breaking Dawn! It definitely would be a more interesting ending.

Gayle ~ What workout did you end up doing yesterday?

Andilynn ~ I'm glad you are enjoying STS. I have it but haven't started it yet. I'm waiting until life gets back to normal although I don't know when that will be.

Marcy ~ I enjoy reading your workouts. I bet you're glad we don't live closer to each other. I'd have you at my house doing those 300 jump ropes! ;) I'm sure you could do them. Glad to hear you love the GA heat as much as I do.

Deanie ~ I hope you are enjoying Celebration Day!

Rhonda ~ I've heard great things about Krav Maga. Let us know how you like it.

Believe it or not, I don't listen to anything while I workout. I used run with my Ipod but for some reason I stopped using it. I guess my own thoughts are more interesting! :p When I workout in my backyard I just listen to the birds or my neighbor's creepy whistling. :confused:

Last edited:
Good morning!

Last night I worked on snatch form for a while and then made up a WOD.

WOD
5 rounds

• 3 Power snatch 50lbs
  • 5 Overhead squats 50lbs
  • 10 Box jumps 20"
It was fun...had a good blend of strength and aerobic/anaerobic elements. Then I worked on some snatch grip deadlifts.

Thank you all for your good Rascal vibes. He's doing much better and getting back to his old self.

Missy - Kudos on Imax 3. I could not do this DVD! I ended up selling it on eBay.

OMG, my playlist is pretty much all over the place! I don't have a lot, but it does include some AC/DC..."Long Way to the Top"...Bon Scott & bagpipes...must have. But here are some others:

Peaches - "Boys Wanna Be Her"
The Crystal Method - "Born Too Slow"
Danzig - "Mother"
Billy Idol - "Rebel Yell" & "Dancing With Myself"
A bunch of Tragically Hip

I also started adding in some mash-ups that I liked from some of the CrossFit videos. You can find a lot of them at www.bootieusa.com (they're free). Here are links to some that like:
Funky Goes to Hollywood - http://www.soop.ca/bootie/bestofbootie2007/09 - Earworm - Funky Goes To Hollywood.mp3
Don't Hold Back, Sweet Jane - http://www.soop.ca/bootie/bestofboo...Productions - Don't Hold Back, Sweet Jane.mp3
Fox Problems - http://www.soop.ca/bootie/bestofbootie2006/17 - Pilchard - Fox Problems.mp3

Deanie - WTG on your deadlifts! You'll have 120lbs in no time. How is your back feeling on these?

Jane - Great job on your killer workout the other day. I think "thrusters" is a synonym for "barf". Hope you had a great run yesterday.

Andilynn - I'm glad STS is working for you! It's awesome when things that were once hard suddenly get easier.

Marcy - Great workout yesterday!

Rhonda - That Krav Maga class sounds awesome!! That's even cooler that your DH is joining in. Good job with Providence. Now I can't speak about coordination, but my dear, God made you pretty freakin' funny. Your posts crack me up. :)

I'm working out at home tonight. I'm think about doing a KB complex and dumbbell Elizabeth (21-15-9 cleans and ring dips) or something like that. We're supposed to be getting a mess o' rain today and tomorrow so I doubt I'll be takin' it out side.

Good Morning!

Today I did Squeeze Stronger Lower Body & Abs premix. I used 15# for the deadlift warmup. The rest of the workout was non-weighted:

V-Plie in 1st position with heels up: down & hold, up & hold, hold down & press, then hold again.
Sissy squat plie with feet parallel and hip-width apart: 1) down 2 counts and up 2 counts, (2) hold down, tuck hips and release, (3) hold the tuck and lean back, then press down.
Ball squeeze plié in wide 2nd position plie and holding a ball in front of chest 1) small presses down, squeezing ball with hands, 2) small presses with ball overhead and 3) full range pliés. Then turn feet parallel and repeat small presses and full range movememnt.
Knee Dancing - in kneeling position, lower hips to feet, tuck hips under and lift back up. She goes slow, then double time and then side to side. Quad killer!
Stretch
Pretzel/Clam Combo (tough as usual but a little easier than last time)
Abs - she does these with her squeeze stick (I just use a curtain rod) and I find these very effective - lots for the lower abs which I need to work on the most and was definitely feeling the pain.
Abs rolldown - sit with legs extended in front of you, holding stick in front of chest: 1) curl down halfway and do tiny curl in C-shape, 2) lower down a bit more and repeat, 3) lower down a bit more and repeat. Then a bunch of variations: rowing side-to-side, pulsing arms up and pulling stick in and pushing out.
Abs on elbow
Abs isolators - variation on crunch
Bicycles
Back Dancing - lying on floor with knees and feet together, lift and lower hips, hold hips up, then circle hips, turn knees and feet to one side, then lift and lower hips. With feet in first position, lift hips and lower. Then, with feet apart and parallel, lift hips and lower.
Stretch

Then I did some of the Merengue workout from Lisa Nunziella's 5-Day Latin System.

Last night I did 2&3/4 pullups and practiced Bird of Paradise. I actually did pretty well. It's harder for me to get my balance on the standing leg than to get my leg in the air. I don't quite look like the girl in the video but I'm getting close.

Farmer - I wish I could get my DH off the couch. He does a lot of work around the house but no other exercise. I would love it if he worked out with me or went to a dance class with me. I'm sure you'll both have a great time. I went to a Knuckle Up class last year where we worked out with a bag and the workout was brutal. It becomes a lot more high impact when you add resistance.

I wish you lived near me too. But if you have something that you'd want to do a temporary trade with, let me know. I've never done the Bar Method but I was looking at their last two DVDs - Accelerated Workout and Change Your Body.

I agree with Gayle. You definitely have a great sense of humor. Your posts crack me up but I have to try and hold back because I'm in the office. You should do stand-up comedy.

Missy - Looks like a great ab routine!

In IMAX 3, I think the first 4 intervals are harder than the second. I finally made it through blast 4 last time I did it but still have trouble with 1 and 7.

Windshield Wipers - works the rotator cuff and shoulders. Start with arms parallel to floor at shoulder level, then lift forearms until they are perpendicular to the floor. I think Tony did a move similar to those in P90X Shoulders & Arms.

Gayle - I'm glad Rascal is back to his old self. Great workout!

Deanie - How was your last day at school?

Waves to Andilynn and Jane!

Marcy

Out of the Closet

Hello everyone!

Last night we actually had to sit under the stairs for awhile because we had a tornado warning. No damage though others had power outages.

This morning I did Classical Stretch Core and Hips and the 1st four segments of Extreme KB cardio. I really like the 09'season better. It is a challenge. Last night I did a segment where she made you write the entire alphabet with each leg. I don't know where she got that idea (maybe a sobriety test gone bad?) but it was a burner.

DH's job is really physical but his body is used to it. He needed to do something. He kept blaming the clothing industry for making 36's that are too tight. I will keep you ladies posted on how KM goes.

Missy- There is probably nothing you can say to DH to get him off the couch. I have been semi-nagging for 2 years. Hopefully he sticks to it. Since we joined together maybe he will. Your ab routine sounds good.

Jane- I get tired just reading your workouts. Maybe I can modify the crazy eights into Twisted Two's and build up from there.

Gayle- Overhead squats with 50#. You are impressive! Glad Rascal is getting better. How is your mom?

Marcy- So how are you doing your breakdown? Are you doing 3 days strength and 3 cardio or are you doing just what you feel? Either way it sounds fun. I have the first 2 Bar Methods so if you want to check them out, let me know.

I have thought about doing comedy but I just don't know what I would do with all the groupies ;).

Waves to Deanie and Andilynn.

Farmer - I've been trying for either 2-3 full body workouts a week with cardio and yoga if I can fit it in along with my dance workshop or 3 hour dance on Saturdays. Or I try and do upper/lower splits twice a week with cardio and yoga and dancing.

I hope your DH enjoys Krav Maga. My DH is past 36s. When we went on our honeymoon 16 years ago, he gained 10# and couldn't fit into the clothes he brought with him. He decided to have "child size" portions of everything but all those child-size portions really added up. He used to weightlift when he was young, box and run cross-country but now he only mows and edges the lawn and cleans the house (which I'm very grateful for!)

It really sounds like I would like CS 2009 but I'm going to have to hold off for awhile. I, of course, have to have the whole set and it's a bit much for now. What are the first two Bar Methods called? The alphabet exercise with the leg sounds interesting.

Marcy

Good Afternoon!!

Today was celebration day and it was great!!:) The kids were terrific and they sang beautifully! I really will miss those little tykes!! I gave so many hugs today and then had to go back for more! Whose hand will I hold in line next year? who is going to sit on my lap??? who is going to ask to sit on my lap at the end circle, when they've just walked in the door in the morning??? I got some great gifts too, and a $100.00 MC gift card....so 25# kb, here I come!!:):p (and some plates for my barbell!) OOH, or maybe a new aos downloadable workout!? hmmmm....

Anyway, I did the DIVA workout today. I dropped my weights for some exercises and upped for one or 2 others....I also did deadlifts with 115#. I Didn't get much sleep last night and was just happy to workout. My dad isn't doing well, and we (brothers and I- all live in different states) were trying to figure out what to do to help my mom all last night.

Missy~ Britney Spears???? Really??? and you admit it???? LOL:p;) You are funny!! I am a total head banger, and I have AC/DC, aerosmith, Guns -n- Roses, Nickleback, Greenday, JET, Seether and Metalica on my ipod (My DS12 downloaded some Queen songs for me the other day-) love Fat Bottomed Girls to workout to! I love Imax 3 and isn't interval 4 the one with Bon Jovi's song? That one is tough! Love your sub for that! Thanks for the SIM leg info. I am thinking of trying out one day of SIM next week just to test it out....

Jane~ Love your crazy 8's today. I copied it for future use! Have fun with it!! No music when you workout? that would be hard for me! Although your neighbor's creepy whistling sounds interesting!:confused:

Gayle~ Glad to hear Rascal is well!! I love your made up WOD. I am thinking of doing "Nancy", I'd like to try the OHS. My back is surprisingly fine with the deadlifts. I think I am really concentrating on form and really thinking about lifting with my hamstrings and glutes.

Marcy ~ Great job with the pullups! It seems like Squeeze is your new favorite workout!:)

Rhonda~ Your posts crack me up too! I always look forward to reading them!! I'm glad you are out of the closet;)! Enjoy Krav Magna!! Heard it is wonderful!! I would love to take a class with DH, but he is the cardio man, and I am not a cardio fan! He loves his spin bike and we share the ropes.

waves to Andilynn!!

Gayle~ Glad to hear Rascal is well!! I love your made up WOD. I am thinking of doing "Nancy", I'd like to try the OHS. My back is surprisingly fine with the deadlifts. I think I am really concentrating on form and really thinking about lifting with my hamstrings and glutes.

Deanie - Sounds like you had a great party! :) I honestly wrote down "Nancy" on my post-it for the gym last night, and got askeered when I was warming up the OHS. I've never done 15 in a row, and was worried about dumping the weight in front of everybody, and the training plates don't bounce...anyway, I totally psyched myself out of it. :(

BUT...on the way home I started thinking of trying a "kettlebell Nancy" - 15l/15r KB OHS, 400m run for 5 rounds...what do you think?

Definitely try out some BB OHS. They hit every muscle in your body.

You're soooo gonna hit 120lb on the DLs. :)

Rhonda - My mom's doing well. :) She's very diligently doing her PT.

BUT...on the way home I started thinking of trying a "kettlebell Nancy" - 15l/15r KB OHS, 400m run for 5 rounds...what do you think?

Gayle::: I would do the kettlebell Nancy:):), but wouldn't it be harder to do a total of 30 ohs? I found the Nancy Challenge, and it said beginners use 30#, intermediate use 45# and advanced do 65# for women. I'm thinking if you can do 5 OHS with 50#, you can easily do 15 with 30#.

Off to try the OHS (with no weight on the bb), I love full body exercises. Thanks for the kudos on the deadlfit:)

Deanie - Congratulations on your gift card! I'm sure you'll make good use of it no matter what you decide. Sounds like you had a wonderful last day. You sound like you really love your job.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope you and your brothers will be able to figure something out to help your Mom & Dad. Do your parents live in FL?

Marcy

Thanks Marcy. I do Love my job:). Yes, my parents are in Florida, which makes things twice as hard. We are going in blind, and my mom only tells us some stuff, because she doesn't want to "burden" us. We would much rather her tell us everything, and "unburden" her!! I think between the 3 of us, and my mom, we should be okay for a while. We are thinking of moving them up here, but that is in the future, not now.

Farmer - I've been trying for either 2-3 full body workouts a week with cardio and yoga if I can fit it in along with my dance workshop or 3 hour dance on Saturdays. Or I try and do upper/lower splits twice a week with cardio and yoga and dancing.

I hope your DH enjoys Krav Maga. My DH is past 36s. When we went on our honeymoon 16 years ago, he gained 10# and couldn't fit into the clothes he brought with him. He decided to have "child size" portions of everything but all those child-size portions really added up. He used to weightlift when he was young, box and run cross-country but now he only mows and edges the lawn and cleans the house (which I'm very grateful for!)

It really sounds like I would like CS 2009 but I'm going to have to hold off for awhile. I, of course, have to have the whole set and it's a bit much for now. What are the first two Bar Methods called? The alphabet exercise with the leg sounds interesting.

Marcy

Yes I really think you would like the 09' season. The first 2 are called Designer Sculpting and Fat Free. The ab exercises always hurt my neck but the floor and barre work are great.

Maybe your DH will come around. I am hoping that my DH sticks with this.

Deanie- Sorry to hear about your dad. It is tough when everyone is spread out. Hopefully everyone will be on the same page about decision making. Glad you had a good last day of school and congrats on the gift card.

Gayle- Glad mom is good.

I am happy that I bring a smile to your day. I will take responsibility for helping you exercise your upper cheeks. Can't help you with the lower ones :).

Last edited:
Deanie ~ Sorry to hear about your dad. It's hard enough being in the same town, I can't imagine being spread out. My one sister is in Illinois and used to come down every 6 weeks but she's been MIA since April. I don't think she can handle it emotionally. I'm so glad that my other 2 sisters are here to help out. We keep a schedule and when someone can't be there with mom one of us will pick up the slack.

I know what you mean about your mom not wanting to burden you and your sibs. My mom is the same way. We would suggest things to her and then finally we just started doing them.

Hang in there!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.