***Chinups, Pullups and much more***

fit_fairy

Cathlete
Just thought I'd start a new thread. I did my chins yesterday (see previous thread) Today I'll be doing a total body w/o and hopefully some cardio.

Anyone else out there? Linda, Joanne, Briee, Pebs????

Weight work is done!!! This is the first heavier wt w/o I've done in a month :confused: Been doing some endurance stuff to prep for STS Meso 1 :eek: I suck at endurance :(

Anyway, I skipped back because I am still feeling yesterday's chins :eek:

Squats
warmup- 45# 8 reps, 70# 8 reps
working set- 85# 8/10/10 (30 sec res)
RDLS
70# 10/10/10/10 (30 sec rest)
went light on these with more sets- still protecting lower back
Bench
warmup-50# 10reps, 70# 10 reps
working set 85# 8/5/5 dropped to 80#- 8 reps(30 sec rest)
was obviously a bit too ambitious with the 85#
OHP
20# 8/8/8
Skull Crushers
20# 8/8/8
Concentration Curls
25# 8/8/8

not too bad I suppose. I am not happy with my shoulders though. I just can not seem to make any darn progress there. :confused:

Ok, I am replying to myself again :p I did accomplish CTX All Step followed by CoreMax 3. Then I hate pizza. Now I feel like I need to w/o again :confused:

I'm feeling oh so lonely :(

This morning I did SP&J step and hi/lo. This evening I did 4ds kickbox premix and 5 sets of 5 wide grip pullups. That was my day :p

Tomorrow is upper body with GS C&T BS&B premixes:eek:

Hey Catherine,
No one was on the Maniac thread either.. hmm.. must be nice weather everywheres for everyone :)
I haven't been doing pullups lately, my one month gym membership is up and I can't have a bar in the house.. Every 2 or 3 lower body workouts Ill be getting a day pass though and will do my pullups on that day.
In fact.. I was hoping to find a little kid's park in the area where they'll surely have a jungle gym and I cam do pullups on the monkey bars ha!
Im hooked on them now that I can actually DO some without assistance and Im convinced that its the only way to really bring up that area (Ive been doing rows and pullovers for MONTHS and havent gotten the results im looking for!)
eventually i want to be able to do 5 X 5 too!

Hey Pebs!! Do you mind if I call you that? I totally agree that pullups and chinups are awesome for the upper body!!

Last edited:
That's fine.. I typically go by anything hehe..

I haven't tried a chinup yet.. I just started the pulldowns and whatnot about 5 weeks ago, so I wanted to wait until I built up more strength.. I view them as the most challenging one of the three pullup grips and I'd be afraid i'd pull something or whatever..
I think I may try one (perhaps assisted) next time Im at the gym and see how it feels :)
But otherwise.. Ill always have the pullups until Im ready for the chins!

OK, I think chinups are the easier grip. Pullups are much harder for me. Give them a try, I am sure you can do a chinup if you can do a pullup!!

Hey Chinsters,

Sorry I left you talking to yourself, it was just a crazy busy weekend. But I did do chins on Friday! Yesterday, we had a church picnic and I played badminton , then this game with the kids, that is kind of like tag, but there are two safe zones, one at each end, and on go you have to run like mad for the other zone without being tagged along the way. Kind of like doing wind sprints but not running in a straight line. So here what I've done over the last few days.

Friday

Superset A
Chins
6/6/6
Bench Press
8/8/8 - 97#

Superset B
Elbow out Rows
8/8/8 - 49#
Low incline DB Press
8/8/8 - 39's

Superset C
Decline Pushups
15/15/15 **How high are your feet suppose to be on these?**
Incline DB Curls
8/8/8 - 23's

Then cardio at 30/90 ratio for six rounds. Doing suicides, high knee runs and forward bounding.

Saturday - Did LIC timesaver cardio

Sunday - rest

Today

Superset A
DB Forward Lunge
8/8/8 - 39's
Side planks
30 sec. hold X3

Superset B
RDL
8/8/8 - 121#
SB Jackknifes
15/15/15

Superset C
DB Step Ups
8/8/8 - 24's
SB Hamstring Curls
15/15/15

Then cardio at a 60/60 ratio for 6 rounds, I used the first power up section from Amy's ASC.

Catherine - Shoulders are tough, you just have to work at going up very small amounts at a time. Nice workouts!

Okay I guess it is my turn to talk to myself, that's alright I guess I deserve it! LOL!

I got my a$$ whooped this morning. I did Amy's Hi/Lo Extreme and I was dying by the end. A couple of times I even had to take an extra couple of seconds to recover before the next combo.:eek: I was sweating so much I even had to stop and go get a fan at one point. :p Then my quads and hip flexors have DOMS and the last interval included power lunges and I just wanted to cry! :confused:
It's funny how different types of cardio can kick your butt, I mean I can do Imax3 interval only and think nothing of it, but try hi/lo and I feel like I am completely out of shape :( Would love to know my calorie burn from this morning I swear it felt like at least a 1,000 calories.:eek:

Hey Linda!! Sounds like you had a busy but fun weekend!! Nice workouts. As far as pushups on the step I think it's a matter of how much of a challenge do you want. The higher the step the more the challenge. Also IIRC, the higher step emphasizes more shoulder. I would guess there may be a point (depending on your height too) where it might be too high and create too much stress in the shoulder. I think when I was doing them I had 5 risers on the step.

Yesterday I did GS C&T/BSB premixes and my upper body is fried today:confused: I can go heavier than Cathe on just about everything but shoulders :mad: I know I have to slowly work up to them. I guess they get worked so much in other exercises they are pre-fatigued by the time I get around to them. Today was LL with B&G bonus stability ball abs (as a sub for LL abs).

Linda, Amy's new workout sounds intense. I loathe power lunges- so I don't think I'll be getting that one any time soon :p But glad you are enjoying it:D

Hey Pebs, did ya find a park with monkey bars yet to do chinups? I don't know what I'd do without my power tower!!

Morning,

This was the last upper body day for this 4 week rotation, next week I get to change it up.

Superset A
Chins
6/6/6
BB Bench Press
8/8/8 - 97# **These never did get any easier, I am thinking it was because of the close grip pushups and the chins that proceed them.

Superset B
Elbow out Row
8/8/8 - 45#
Low Incline DB Press
8/8/8 - 40's *Had a tough time getting the forties into position!:p

Superset C
Decline Pushups
15/15/15
Incline DB Curls
8/8/8 - 23 1/2's **at rep 6 on the last set I dropped back to 23 and still barely got the last rep, it wasn't pretty.

Then cardio at 30/90 ratio for 6 rounds doing high knee runs.

Catherine - Okay I feel stupid...what does IIRC stand for? Wasn't sure on the decline pushup height because I've seen them done all different heights. Boy, I barely remember what those Cathe workouts are like, it's been so long. The Amy workout I did yesterday was not one of her new ones, it was older but the first time I had done it. I did however order ASCIII on Monday, now I just need ASCII and In The Ring:p

BTW, I have done great with my eating for the past three days:D But better yet, I just realized that while my eating hasn't been perfect in the recent past I have managed to stop eating chocolate which was a daily habit for me. :eek: I am really proud of that accomplishment :D

I have NOT Catherine.. Im taking the day off today so might take a look around :D
Until i get the squat rack and pullup substitute Ill have to make do with a day pass at the gym every three workouts or so..
which means having to do lighter workouts and/or trying to figure out how to get the results i was looking for with those two tools, out of an 'at-home' gym with weights i can safely lift..
not easy when you can squat over double what you can ge tover your head :T
and i feel the pullup variations are the only things that really target the LATS only and not the other areas as im shoulder dominant.. I did some decline pullovers last week and could barely move my traps the next day?? grr..

What are power lunges??

Linda, IIRC is "if I recall correctly" I hope to someday do 40# DB presses. Right now I feel like my wrists would snap off :confused: Your workout looks pretty darn intense!!!

Pebs, I think Cathe calls them power scissors. Basically a plyometric lunge :eek:

I am planning on SZ and chinups this evening if all goes well. My legs are feeling meaner but not leaner from LL yesterday :D

Catherine-sorry you were along here for awhile. I'm still not use to this new website. It is going to take me a long time :)

I've been doing a chin up here and there. Maybe, for a day that I work upper body, I will just work on chins and push ups. What do you all think about that?

Joanne

Joanne - nice to see you here! You could definitely give yourself a good workout with just pushups and chin ups!

Catherine - Sorry your legs hurt, but if your any thing like me it makes you happy! :p My wrists are fine with the 40's, but I think I took my hip out trying to lift them into place! :eek: Good luck with your workout tonight!!!

My wrists are fine with the 40's, but I think I took my hip out trying to lift them into place! :eek:

It would be nice if someone could hand them to you!! Seriously, when you get that heavy with DBs that would be ideal. Be careful not to take out your hip OK?

Just wasn't feeling the love for SZ when I got home. So I did LM step only premix (no blasts because they are killer on the legs and my legs are already dead :confused: ) Anyway, I did weighted chinups with 10 pounds. I did 4/3, 4/3 & 4/3 (first number unassisted/second assisted with band-both with 10 #s) After that 3rd set my left shoulder really started to ache. So I decided to stop. No sense in pushing it. I will try to do some pullups on Friday and see how it goes.

This morning was 4DS LIS/HIS Double Cardio. Mind was not ready to handle the challenge of Amy.:p I got a late start and the kids got early and kept interrupting.:mad:

Catherine - Funny, I was thinking just that yesterday when I was working out "boy, it sure would be nice if someone could hand these to me". But alas, I'll have to wait a few more years for DS to get bigger, then I can make him come help me!:p Nice workout yesterday, really nice job with the chinups. I have yet to look at the exercises coming up for the next four weeks, interested to see if they included more chinups or maybe pullups. Hope not!:eek:
Oops, did I say that out loud!:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.