*** Tuesday Kettlebellers ***

Gayle

Cathlete
Good morning everyone!

Hi Missy! Welcome to the fun. :) Great workout yesterday! I have a hard time following a long program, too. I think your one month plan is pretty solid.

Rhonda - Sounds like an awesome trip! Will there be pictures? :)

I am really changing my mindset about my body and exercise. My goal is to exercise 4-5 times a week and eat healthy most of the time. I have spent the last 22 years obsessed about my weight. No more!

Kudos to you, girl! As another who has spent way too much time obsessing over an unrealistic body image, I can say you are definitely on the right track.

Marcy - Congratulations on finishing ETK!! You also made some awesome progress. :) What are you going to do next?

Jane - I hope you had a restful day, you deserved it.

Deanie - I read your blog. Great job on Newport! Did your hands bother you at all on the snatch challenge? That's impressive that you can go a whole minute per side, my forearms start to ache after 7 or so reps.

Waves hello to Andilynn!

I worked deadlifts last night, and topped out with a 1x3 set at 190lbs. That's a PR for me at that rep range. :) Nothing about last night's workout felt easy, though. It took a long time to get limbered up and every set just felt hard...even the warm ups. However, the 1x3 set actually felt easier than some of my lighter sets...go figure. The gory details are in my blog.

Tonight I'm going to give this CrossFit Jersey Shore WOD a try. I got it this morning in their e-newsletter:

6 Rounds Kettlebell and Body Weight
Do 30 seconds of each movement with no rest between until you get through all 6, then rest for 1:30.

• Kettlebell swings
  • Mountain climbers
  • Kettlebell high pulls
  • Burpees
  • Kettlebell thrusters
  • Jumping Jacks
Have a great day everyone!

Hi Everyone,

I actually ended up doing a little workout yesterday. It was a combo of swings and BW exercises. It only took about 20 minutes.

Today I'm doing the following workout. I can't remember where I got it from but I did it last July and I almost puked from doing it. I think it was more from the heat/humidity than from the workout.

Toss Your Cookies Workout (I named it!) :p
50 Jump Rope
40 Squats
40 Push ups

75 Jump Rope
30 KB Swings
20 Jump Squats

100 Jump Rope
20 Slam Balls
30 KB Swings

75 Jump Rope
40 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls
50 Squats

50 Jump Rope

Then
1 set of 20 anchored sit ups w/weight
1 set of 20 Russian Twists
1 set of 20 1-armed sit ups (20 each side)

Hi Missy ~ Welcome to our little group! Great workout yesterday!!

Marcy ~ Congratulations on completing ETK!! What's next?

Rhonda ~ Have fun on your trip. Hiking the hills of San Francisco and kayaking sounds like great fun!

Gayle ~ Let me know how you like the workout today. I got the same email but will save it for a later date. Too many workouts...too little time! :eek:

Waves to Andilynn and Deanie! :)

Good Afternoon All!

Where is everybody? This morning I did the upper body premix of Squeeze Stronger which included upper body and waist. I have now done the whole DVD and it's great. I still have DOMS in my legs from yesterday. My arms were fried this morning and the highest weight I used was 7#.

Biceps: Used 5# for all. There were 3 giant sets of Ws, close grip alternating bicep curl and twisting curls.

Shoulders: Used 5# for all except last set of rear delt raises which I used 7#. She did 3 giant sets of front raises, lateral raises and rear delt raises.

Shoulders/Pecs/Triceps: Scissor, chest fly crossing the arms in front and pec deck. Then you lean forward and do shoulder extension, circle arms out, press arms in and up, small triceps press. Used only 3# for this which was more than enough!

Waist - Tracy used the Squeeze stick. I just used a curtain rod. She did side bends (like the old Jane Fonda), then torso twists (lifting the knee to opposite elbow). Then you hold on to a chair and do side kicks (which were more like leg lifts in arabesque).

Pecs/Tris: She did wide arm pushups and tricep pushups on the knees (which I also actually did on the knees and still felt them. I was so tired from everything else, I didn't care at that point.)

I planned on doing some cardio, but I was so sore from yesterday and today, I did Shoulder High from Power Yoga for Happiness 2. He's got some great shoulder and chest openers in that one as well as hip openers too.

Missy - I guess I must have missed your post but I wanted to welcome you to our check-in! The more, the merrier!

Gayle - Thanks! I'll be concentrating on barre workouts, yoga and cardio this month and will try and fit in some kettlebells here and there. I should try to keep up with my chins and pulls because I found with them, either you do them consistently or you're back to square one. I do feel like I got great arm and back definition from doing them. I finally have some nice looking biceps.

Great job on the deadlifts! I like the WOD for today which I'm going to bookmark. Doesn't look like anything too complicated.

Rhonda - That's a nice healthy attitude. I try and eat as best I can. I find I eat very well during the day but it's at night when I sometimes run into a problem and the weekends. I'm also going to try and do workouts that I most enjoy. Not that I won't be working hard but I'll be in a much better mood.

Deanie - I have to go and catch up on your blog.

Waves to Andilynn and Jane!

Marcy

Good Afternoon gals

I posted in my blog this morning and then got side tracked with a phone call about a child in my class, so I never got to post here! so anyway, here's my blog post/workout:

Newport News

Posted 05-05-2009 at 08:55 AM by deanie
Newport:
*did the whole workout with no rests between rounds (except round 4, 30 seconds rest)
*round 4 continues to plague me:mad: I did 2 complete sets of punch matrix and plank, but couldn't eek out a third!
*grind: 4 sets snatch/tgu/windmill 20#kb
*5 minute snatch test: completed the whole thing with the 20#kb:
one minute right arm
second minute left arm
third minute right arm
fourth minute left arm
and split the last minute 10 r/10l, 2r/2l.
each minute was 25 snatches per arm.
Total snatches = 124
*good workout, next time try some rounds with 25#kb....

=======================================

Gayle::: great workout!! read all the gory details ;), very impressive!! I also got the email from Jersey shore xfit, and copied that workout for future use. Let us know how you liked it!! My hands were okay with the snatches, but I only used 20# for them. When I used the 30# my hands did get messed up. Today I tried to work on my form and not hold the kb so tight during the snatch. I am hoping that will help when I use the heavier weight kb. PS- I also use fitday and love it!...although sometimes I find myself being really anal about it!:confused:

Jane::: I am not printing your workout!!....just kidding!;) I don't know if I want to do a workout that has "puke" in its title!!:eek: Let us know how it went, and if you got sick! ....I hope not!

Marcy::: Great workout today! I think you are right with the pullups- its use it or lose it! I also am going to try to add them in when I can.

Rhonda::: enjoy your vacation! I think your attitude about working out and eating is great!

Missy::: Welcome!! I'm glad you joined us! :)Great workout yesterday!! I think taking it a month at a time is a great way to do it. I think even in the SIM workbook, it says to do SIM for a month and then mix in other AOS workouts, then come back to SIM.

waves to Andilynn!!

Anyone know if its okay to do the snatch 3 days in a row? I was going to do the DIVA workout tomorrow, and that has 2 min. of snatches at the end.....maybe I should do a crossfit workout instead and the diva workout on thursday?

Not to enable, but I just saw this and wanted to post in case you're interested:

http://www.dragondoor.com/dv062.html#order

It's Return of the Kettlebell by Pavel. It has mainly double-kettlebell exercises. The price seemed decent.

Deanie - I'm so impressed you go without rests - especially in Newport! Great job! I'm sure you'll have no problem going to 25# snatches.

Jane - That definitely sounds like a Toss Your Cookies workout! Good luck!

Marcy

Thanks Marcy. I passed the info on to my brother. He may be interested. I'm not right now, got enough on my plate.;)

I meant to mention, I'm glad you took measurements of your progress with etk. I thought maybe it was just me gaining inches in my waist and thighs (you know pre menapause...?) I think for us women we should be adding in more cardio than the swings at the end of weight work. Will you do etk again? or sim? You need to post a picture of your rockin' biceps! :)

I just ordered the 24kg kettlebell from AOS!!:eek: good thing it won't ship till June, I have plenty of time to work with my 20kg (45#er) to get ready for it!!

Last edited:
Deanie - Glad to see it wasn't only my bad eating! I was also starting to think pre-menopause was kicking in. I actually haven't done any cardio yet this week but lost a pound from yesterday to today. I've been doing more dog-walking which may be helping a little bit but I think hi-rep/low weight might work better for me now and should help me with weight loss. I'm trying to get the rest of the Slim Series DVDs (I have 3, need 3 more) and then I'm going to try a Slim Series rotation. I'm going to be doing Results: 10 Days to a Better Body tomorrow and Friday. They're short interval workouts which combine cardio and lower body and cardio and upper body and each are about 35 minutes (which will be perfect for Wed. and Fri. when I'm short on time).

Congrats on getting the 24kg kb! You must really like to punish yourself! LOL!:D

I've heard of Strength in Motion but don't know what it entails. Is it more advanced than ETK? I don't know if I would do ETK again but I might incorporate the dice roll and do different sets of swings with different rep ranges and rests and I will try and keep up with my pulls and chins.

I will try and get DH to take a pic of my biceps.

Marcy

Marcy: the slim series is supposed to be great- short workouts and great results. Good luck, I hope you get the 3 you need. Yea! to the lb. loss!:) that's always nice! I am doing shorter workouts on wed - fri. too, I'm going to do crossfit and short aos workout.

sim is like etk in that its a workbook and tells you what to do when. that being said, its different than etk, because its the same workout 4 days a week, for 6 months:eek: AOS has difff. suggestions on how to use it: one week on sim, one on resolution or one month sim, one month dvds, then back to sim. from what I can tell, its basically workouts to increase your strength. its supposed to be great. Missy (who joined the forum yesterday) could probably offer more info, she is doing the program now. I don't see you doing sim for a whole month (you have the workout add;):)) but you may like it alternating weeks. I am going to start in July with SIM, not sure how I am going to use it yet!

:eek::eek:just realized the time!! off to take DS9 to his guitar lesson!!:eek:

Have a good one!:)

Early is a.m. I did Providence until the presses and rows, from there I just skipped to the snatch test. I tried to up my weight to 25#, but my palms weren't havin' it so I used 20#. I have been doing this workout for almost 5 months and I am amazed at how much strength and endurance I have gained: when I started I really couldn't do anything heavier than 15# for the tactical lunges and flip n' squats, and even then I was struggling and switching the 10#er in - now I do 25# straight through and am ready to up the weight again... I LOVE kettlebells! I can't think of anything that I have done in the past 10 years where I have seen such a drastic change in endurance and strength in such a short period of time and has upped my rnning speed tremendously (and I was in great shape before I started this), woohoo!!! :D:D:D:D:D for the first 7 rounds I did 3 or 2 pullups in between and I added about 100 pushups at the end of the w/o.

Farmer, I think that is the right mindset! I don't count anything; calories in/out, my weight, NOTHING. Just eat lots and lots of what is healthy and little of what's bad, and I feel wonderful. You are who you are and who you are is wonderful!

Gayle, the WOD looks great... in fact... ouch! :p How many WOD do you do a week?

Jane, I hope that you don't feel quite so... pukey? after your workout today. :)

Marcy, I loved Yoga for Happiness! How does II compare?

Deanie, I am amazed that you are able to do an entire minute of snatches on one arm!!! Holy crap!

Hello to everyone else who comes along that I haven't "met" yet. :)

Missy

Missy - Here's a thread comparing PY4H 1 and 2:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=125179

Personally, I love both and they are different enough to warrant the purchase of 2 (don't mean to enable!) The premixes in 2 are great and edited seamlessly. I do the 34 mins. Shoulder High quite often and feel like I got a good, full practice in. There are more shoulder and chest openers in 2 and I feel there are more hip openers in 1. There are a couple of tough arm balances in 2. He does shoulderstand but no other inversions.

Yes, kettlebells definitely increase your endurance and strength quickly. My endurance has drastically improved. The flips-n-squats are still tough for me and I still mainly use 20# for those but am up to 25# on the tactical lunges (although they feel like they go on forever). Great job on pushups and pullups at the end! You must be in great shape to do them at the end!

Marcy

Gayle::: didn't see your post earlier:eek:! My dh said the same thing!!LOL

Missy::: WOW 100 pushups at the end of your workout!? You go girl!!:) :)

I've heard of Strength in Motion but don't know what it entails. Is it more advanced than ETK? I don't know if I would do ETK again but I might incorporate the dice roll and do different sets of swings with different rep ranges and rests and I will try and keep up with my pulls and chins.

Marcy
Marcy, I don't have ETK so I don't know how to compare it with SIM and whether or not it's more advanced. If you look at my workout from yesterday's thread SIM gives three rounds, the first two exercises in each round being some sort of snatch, jerk or press but other than that each round is different. The only difference between the workout I posted yesterday and any other workout in the 6 month book is that the time working and time resting changes, that's it. Every worksheet looks the same and has the same sequence. I bet it will make you "bullet proof" like he says, but I can't do it that long LOL... I need just a little more variety. He recommends that it be done 4 times a week, but I am only doing it three because I already know that by the fourth time I would do it the first week I just wouldn't. At least with only doing it 3 days I can do something different in between. :) I have workout ADD, so keep that in mind when you read this seemingly less than glowing description, lol.

Confession time: not all of the pushups were on my toes. :eek: :p

Have a great evening everyone! :)

Missy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.