****Clean & Tidy Monday****

angie_mitchell

Cathlete
It's Monday! The start to a new week. What are your goals for this week?

Mine are to learn a little french (have my first lesson today!) and to clean up my eating act!

Drop off went well this morning. Ellie was a little clingy but not bad. Annabel stays all day at school today because her teacher wants to do extra French with her. 9-5 is going to be a long time. Ugh.

Today is Cardio Fusion. I'll let you know how it goes...

BBL!

Hey Angie, congrats / sorry on the french lesson! FWIW, I think it's great that you are taking lessons and making an effort to learn!

No work for me today -- except I am going to work :p. Monday is usually my day at work to catch up on paperwork, so when we have a Monday holiday off, it's wonderful and terrible all at the same time. So I'm gonna go in for about two hours and get caught up on some things. I have plenty to keep me busy all day, but I am not staying more than a couple hours!

I slept until 6:30 am accidentally :eek: I worked out yesterday on my rest day, so it's not a big deal if I rest today. I might workout later today, might not, we'll see.

My goals for the week (great question Angie) -->
-keep the eating in check (did pretty good last week)
-keep lifting heavy
-get 12+ miles in on the TM

Be back later!

ohh, i like this goal of the week thing!!

good morning angie - so glad drop offs went better! sorry for the headache:( enjoy cardio fusion. that is one of my faves.

hey katie - so glad you like your treadmill. 12 miles this week sounds great. a word of caution, and only b/c i \am coming off an injury. most people recommend not incresing mileage per week or per run by any more than 10% to avoid injury. just an fyi:)

so this am i did just elliptical for an hour - it is my non-impact day. did 3 sets pull ups and some body weight lower body stuff. i did do 4ds b and b 2x yesterday. i am really glad i am doing ff's dec rotation for the upper body. last night went well with the kids. i am so glad our company is gone!! todays eats need to be good. eysterday was okay, but a bit too much choclate:eek:

my goals this week: not overdo the impact:p
eat cleaner than last week, which was really good
try to limit my reaction to stress with food

stuff with my family ended okay this weekend. one thing that is bad is i am not in any communication with my dad, whom i idolized for so many years. something about commiting adltery on my mom:mad: anyways, he did not even call or e mail for aidan's christening, though in someways that is good b/c i would have had to talk to him or choose not to. does that make sense? so that is one of my stresses. the other is dh's job. sometime in the next 2 weeks we have to decide to get out of the military or stay in. there are pros and cons to both, more than i can type about right now. it is very stressful, but i am hoping by talking with you guys more about my stress, i will feel better. hope no one minds listening!

sorry for the novel. must get abck to work. bbl

angie, wtg on the french! hows ryan doing w/ it?
9-5 is a terribly long day - my heart goes out to both of you. i couldnt take it.:(
great goals!

katie, enjoy your semi-day off! is collin home today?

my goals - clean eating & 1rm tests. im going to do circuits all week and hopefully get most of them done. we shsll see.....

waiting around today for the fridge repairman. i hope we dont have to buy a newone! also have dentist appts for dds - cross your fingers for no cavities! i hope the fridge guy comes early enogh for us to go to lunch out - we have no veggies!!! stupid fridge!:mad:

morris, ^5 on the wo! you're my hero! and how you do it on no sleep....
i love that rotation - s'thing about it just clicks for me.. i started it again but im going to do my 1rms this week and pick up again next week.
ugh, family. kwym re your dad. so sorry for all the drams but it sounds like you did great!
good luck w/ the job decision. not easy. sometimes im glad we're self-employed, sometimes .....not so much. it would be nice to have the phone NOT ring all thru dinner or the weekend...... oh well! those phonecalls put bread on the table so id best not complain!

Morning. Happy Martin Luther King Jr. b-day

I plan to do cardio today, maybe lowmax and some core work.

Morris sorry about your mom and dad. Military life is hard and it's something that takes time to think about. If he comes out will he be able to get a job?

Kate sorry about refrid-drama. Good luck with the dentist.

BBL

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone!

Goals for this week - eat my snacks and drink my water while I am at work. I keep getting sick because I don't have time to eat at work or refill my water so I am going to make a point to do that even if it means I am late to meetings.

Morris, you have a big decision ahead of you. Good luck and if you want to vent let us know.
Angie, congrats on the first French lesson. Glad there was no drama this morning. How was cardio fusion.
Robin, I have been thinking about pulling out lowmax. It is a long but good workout.
Kate, hope they can fix your fridge. I couldn't imagine living without mine.
Katie, don't overdo it on the TM. I injured myself over the summer running too far too quickly.

I didn't workout this morning so I will do something tonight but I am not sure what.

b: oatmeal w/ almonds
s: banana
l: arroz con pollo
s: chopped veggies, 1/2 clif bar
d: shrimp scampi

Robin, What are you and the kids up to today?!:D

Colleen, How are you feeling today?
Great goals!! You can do it!

---------
Fridge is fixed!!! yay!!!! Only $155. Sure beats buying a new one!

Going out to lunch (Champps, Max & Ermas, PF Chang's...anyone want to vote??!) and shopping. Gina's boots are falling apart and Isabel's jacket is ripped. Sheesh!! They both wore them last year too so I suppose......:rolleyes: I'm super picky about their winter clothes - only LansEnd stuff. It is so warm. So off we go to Sears....I hope they have stuff left!

kate, my vote is pf changs! thanks for all the support. question about he dec rptation: why during wk 3 do you do back and bis 2x? just curious.

robin, i am not sure how quickly dh will get a job, esp in this economy. that is one of the major drawbacks to getting out. i am emplyable, but my field is cutting back too. he would stay in the reserves for 6 more years if he gets out, so that is some income, but, it is not as secure as fulltime military. on the other hand, if he stays in, there is a decent chance he will be sent away someplace scary for 1 year! that is awful. decisions, decisions.

colleen, great goals!

klaudia, anne, where are you guys?

Oh, no, Angie! I hope you feel better. I have bad news, I'm not going to be able to do 6 work outs this week. We didn't get home until after 5 yesterday and then we had to shovel, so there was no way I was going to tackle Drill Max. I did it today, though! So, I'll do 3 circuits (Drill Max, Low Impact Circuit, and High Step Circuit (modified to be harder)) and 2 cardios. It sounds like you may have to take some unexpected rest days, too, I'm sorry about that.

Kate, so glad about the fridge.

Morris, you do have some tough decisions to face. I don't have great advice, except to make a list of the pros and cons of each decision. For me it helps to actually write it all down and look at it to get perspective. Sorry about the family drama, I know all that stuff too well.

Colleen, eats sound great today.

Katie, have fun with your new treadmill.

Robin, I'm so jealous of your elliptical.

Klaudia, I hope you're doing all right.

MIL is doing okay, but the poor thing is in so much pain. She can't even get in or out of bed without help. It's so sad to see. I feel so bad for her, but there's not much we can do. I did vacuum her entire house yesterday, so that was good, but it doesn't really help her get better.

Eats have been okay so far today, but DH has asked me to skip tap so we can go out to dinner tonight. Kate, did you go to Eastwood today? We were there around 11-1. That's why DH wants to go out to dinner, we both love Smokey Bones. Not clean, I know, but yummy!

Okay, I have stuff to do around the house, then need to get cleaned up to go out or go to tap. I hope everyone's doing okay today.

anne

morris, what does dh do for the military? hard decisions.....:(
you double up on that because she had an extra rest day in wk4 for c'mas.

angie, rest up!

anne, there is almosrt nothing healthy at sb! i always steal a bt of dh's mashed potato! we were at e'wood at the same time! we ended up at mcallisters.
sorry about mil - thatsrough.

klaudia, yooooo hooooooo!:D

---------
we are finally home!
days been clean but i have a feeling due to the fact that we have no fridge food i'll be having pizza tonight. i'll load it w/ veggies tho.... shoot, i dont want it. i'll have mike pick up somewhere i can get a good salad.:)

Colleen do you have a cooler near by where you can refill quickly. Or you can bring in a cooler and keep small bottles of water handy.

Kate good idea with the salad. How's the repairs? My kids were arguing about how to clean their room. Strange-kids:rolleyes:

Angie feel better and get some rest.

Anne sometimes I find it hard to do 6 workouts per week. This is why I keep making up rotations for next month with Friday being "make-up-day" or cardio. I've tried making a weekly rotation with 2 days off and 2 days with weights and cardio (1 hour and 45 mins) but I think that will be too much for me and if I'm sore then I won't do it.

Morris I pray that our new Pres WON"T send anymore people to the middle east, except for evacuation. A Lot of vets are thinking about the same issues as you and your husband.

STS question

For those of you who are planning on doing STS. How are you going to do it. 3 or 6 month rotation? I was reading on the other forum that some of the people are planning to do each week 2 times, which will stretch the STS into 6 months.

STS question

For those of you who are planning on doing STS. How are you going to do it. 3 or 6 month rotation? I was reading on the other forum that some of the people are planning to do each week 2 times, which will stretch the STS into 6 months.

Honestly, I will probably do whatever Cathe does. Have we heard if she is doing 3 or 6 months??

Angie, I wanted to share this article with you. Some more reasons why I think YOU and EVERYONE should love heavy weight training (like GS)...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...raining_performance/the_hierarchy_of_fat_loss

Here are some highlights... (the underline is mine)

1. Metabolic Resistance Training
Basically we're using resistance training as the cornerstone of our fat loss programming. Our goal is to work every muscle group hard, frequently, and with an intensity that creates a massive "metabolic disturbance" or "afterburn" that leaves the metabolism elevated for several hours post-workout.
A couple of studies to support this:
Schuenke MD, Mikat RP, McBride JM.
Effect of an acute period of resistance exercise on excess post-exercise oxygen consumption: implications for body mass management.
Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002 Mar;86(5):411-7. Epub 2002 Jan 29.

This study used a circuit training protocol of 12 sets in 31 minutes. EPOC was elevated significantly for 38 hours post-workout.
Thirty-eight hours is a pretty significant timeframe for metabolism to be elevated. If you trained at 9AM until 10AM on Monday morning, you're still burning more calories (without training) at midnight on Tuesday.
Can we compound this with additional training within that 38 hours? No research has been done, but I have enough case studies to believe that you can.

Another:
Kramer, Volek et al.
Influence of exercise training on physiological and performance changes with weight loss in men.
Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 1320-1329, 1999.
Overweight subjects were assigned to three groups: diet-only, diet plus aerobics, diet plus aerobics plus weights. The diet group lost 14.6 pounds of fat in 12 weeks. The aerobic group lost only one more pound (15.6 pounds) than the diet group (training was three times a week starting at 30 minutes and progressing to 50 minutes over the 12 weeks).
The weight training group lost 21.1 pounds of fat (44% and 35% more than diet and aerobic only groups respectively). Basically, the addition of aerobic training didn't result in any real world significant fat loss over dieting alone.

Angie, I am sure that you have seen from my HRM results that I post after my workouts that when I lift, I don't burn as many calories as with cardio. HOWEVER, the trick is that -- after cardio -- your body recovers relatively quickly, so the calorie burn that you see on your HRM is pretty much it. However, when you lift, your body does not recover nearly as quickly -- your muscles are working overtime to repair themselves, torching more and more calories all the while. As the study above suggests, your body may even continue to burn calories for up to 38 hours after your workout!

interesting article, katie. gs really turned me on to more lifting, at least upper body. i like 4ds too, but i really started liking it when i used it with ff dec rotation.

angie, feel better! so sorry you are ill.

kate, dh is a pilot. thanks for the explanation for wk 3. i will have to double check the rotation b/c i though there was still back and bis in wk 4. i get so confusd:eek::eek: enjoy your salad. i had one too, but it was not so good.

anne, so sorry about your mil. while you cannot make her better, i bet it relieves her mind to have you around and helping with other stuff.

well, eats were great this am and midday, then i just got overwhelmed by cravings. i wanted sweet and yummy stuff. i ended up having some extra dried fruit and a protein bar and some choc m and m's. then a salad for dinner. not terrible, but more cals than i wanted. unfortunately, we are out of veggies! kids and i will have to make a brief stop at the store tomorrow before our music class.

off to bed everyone. goodnight!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.