"50 and Over"......S & S.....Saturday and Sunday

lemoncustard

Cathlete
I seem to be on an opposite schedule for posting than everybody else. Just can't seem to get to the forums to post during the week.

On Thursday got Squeeze and the latest Spreen workouts from Collage. The Squeeze workout is unbelievable. I could not complete the upper body with the 3 pounders.....this will definitely be one of my new goals. I loved how she incorporated stretch into the workout. I admit, I was hurting where I never hurt before...but it is a "good" hurt. I did not love the Spreen workout quite as much on first try. I used a broom stick because I do not have a nine pound body bar. However it was a bit long and I kept hitting my legs. I will try it again this week. I liked that it was linear and the choreography not very difficult. It definitely will be a workout I will do on days when I don't feel up to doing Cathe and need a change of pace.

Been eating a bit more this week. Hopefully that will start my body loosing weight again. Weigh in is Tuesday.

Summer break in five work days...three and half with students...

Regards,

Rhonda

RE:

Did SuperSets last night - wow, I love the music from the Body Blast series - I think 2003 was Cathe's best year ever for music - what on earth has happened since then? While I love the exercises in her newest offerings, the music is alternately boring or irritating.

My shoulders and triceps were on fire after SS - my son showed up with my grandson (I have 3 - this grandson is not one of the ones from Thursday night - those were my daughter's 2 sons). This grandson, Sam, is 10 months old, and I was very glad he was content to play on the floor for a while when he first got there - I'm not sure I could have picked him up without a lot of moaning and groaning!

I'm at work today - I am planning on doing Kick Max when I get home - at least Parts 1 and 2 - Part 3 is leg conditiong drills. Even though they are very different exercises from what's on SuperSets, I don't know if my legs will ``talk'' to me. I'll probably at least try that section for a few minutes.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Edited for stupid grammar mistake.

RE:

Hi, Rhonda--

How interesting--I, too, just bought Squeeze and 3 Kimberly Spreen workouts. I was going to do Drill Max tomorrow, but since I just got the Spreen workouts today, I am tempted to try one of them instead. Can I just do one of them straight out of the box, or do I need to preview??

Saw Knocked Up last night. I thought it was very, very funny. The reviews keep saying that it provides insights into male psychology, but I am not so sure of this. My husband has no inclination to spend time with guy friends playing fantasy baseball, which seemed to be the major source of misunderstanding here between the sexes. But hey--this isn't a film aiming at REALISM, so I'll just say it was extremely funny and I thought some of the language was a bit over the top, but I am not too uptight about this. Came home and watched my Netflix pick--Hollywoodland. Film noir-ish, music reminded me of Chinatown, but no answer to the mystery of Superman's death. Still--I sort of liked it.

Melrose, I kept hearing about your hideous weather in Texas. You would be envious about the weather here today--77 degrees, sunny, breezy, and maybe a bit on the humid side, but very comfortable.

This was my rest day, and I slept in until 7:45. Just lovely!!

RE:

Good Morning all,

Will try to catch up from Friday's posts and yesterday..

Yesterday we had our dog club's AKC Agility Trial and I worked it all day, so I could not get on to post.. what fun it is watching all the dogs! My 2 are retired from Obedience and Agility showing, and I am longing for a puppy to start training again..

I will start the week off today with an upper body workout, ( maybe SS since it seems everyone here is getting "good" doms from it:

Linny: I like the high step in circuits and I never go more than 8 inchs when using it because of my knees. You should get the Tom Venuto e-book! It is worth the money for all the info you get. I downloaded mine on a CD then had it printed at Kinkos.

Josie: let us know how that run with the stroller goes! I think this should count as a weight workout too!

Melrose: We do have good weather here in Buffalo although the national news won't let anyone know! They make people think we have snow in July! and running after grandkids should count! Hope you had fun doing KickMax after work! I am lucky I eat dinner after work!

Garance: I think I will try the SS upper too! 60 minutes is a little long for me but since it is Sunday, I can spend the time on it. Your info on moving past the Menopause stuff is giving the rest of us some hope! I have not slept a full night in years! Glad you liked the movie. Did DH like it? We had a wisteria that took 4 years to bloom then we had to take it down when we expanded our driveway! I miss it!

Kathy H: I have the book, ( have had it since 2005), printed out the pages you mentioned to review them.. how long did it take of eating this way to see some difference? I am terrified that I will eat like this and go up! I burn usually between 200 and 300 on most weight days and sometimes 300+ on cardio days.. is this enough to eat the 1600 baseline phase 1 without gaining? When I am eating "clean" for me I do eat 6 small meals including a protein shake made with water right after my workout. That counts as meal one, then I have breakfast after showering etc. What I can't give up is FF milk! and I usually have at least an apple a day..On meal #2, how do you eat the oatmeal? It doesn't show any milk! Maybe you can help me tweek this up a litte do I can start something like it? I am willing to try it for a couple of weeks to see if it has an impact on my weight etc.. I think I am going to break down and order the Squeeze DVD from Collage..or is it Amazon where everyone got it?

Rhonda: Another one that is making me have to order Squeeze! Not sure how to fit it into my rotation.. does it break up into upper and lower?

Have a great "rest of the weekdend!

Deb
:)

RE:

Did slow and heavy back and chest this morning and some yoga stretching. I can't do slow and heavy more than a week at a time because of the level of concentration.

Squeeze is an overall workout. There are additional exercises for specific body parts. I have decided that during the next few weeks, I will do the Cathe Rotations on nine day cycles instead of seven, adding a day of Squeeze and Spreen. It really is amazing. I still have a feeling of tenderness in places I did not know had muscles.

Regards, to all,

Rhonda

P.S. Going to get a set of two pounders before attempting Squeeze again.

RE:

Happy Sunday, All,

I'm at work today. Yesterday, after work, I did Kick Max - decided to do the 58-minute low-impact premix, because 74 minutes seemed too long on a workday, and I thought I'd give my lower body a break after Super Sets - well, duh, that premix includes the first kickbox segment and the leg conditiong drills! The weird thing is, my legs feel okay today, but my biceps are killing me - must be delayed-onset DOMS from SS - I don't think Kick Max would do that.

After work, DH and I are going on a marathon shopping expedition at Sam's Club - it's a bit of a drive, so I'll get home much later than usual, and I'm working tomorrow also - that's a fancy way of saying I'm not working out today! - unless I can count trudging up and down the aisles at Sam's? No? Didn't think so.

I'm planning to do Step Max after work tomorrow. It's on VHS, so I'll probably moan and groan my way through the whole thing.

RE:

Hello, ladies--

Well, I did not do Drill Max today--my original plan. Instead I did Kimberly Spreen's Cardio Camp. The choreography (not sure it is really choreography at all) is absolutely simple to follow, so I had no trouble with it. I had two problems: 1) After she teaches all three of the hi-lo combos and all three of the kickboxing combos, she puts them together, first hi-lo, BUT followed by drills which are rather like the ones in Kickmax that are very high impact. Then she puts the Kickbox combos together. I did the best I could on the drills, but there is no way I'm going to do all that jumping on my knees; and 2) lunges at the beginning of the lower body workout. I solved this problem by using a dowel to help me through much of the routine. It really helped. It's 70 min. long, and I did get a decent workout. She's a very good instructor and I'm looking forward to my other tapes by her. Tomorrow I will do Squeeze again.

Kathy, my husband gave Knocked Up a B-, but he was in a really grumpy mood to begin with (very typical of him when he screws up on the weather and doesn't cut hay when he thinks he should have), and he's becoming increasingly hard to please on movies. On menopause, I took estradiol to help me with the hot flashes and night sweats for about two years, gradually tapering off the second year. It did help a lot, but there were times . . . .

I'm going to see Waitress at a matinee this afternoon--without my husband. Has anyone seen this?

Have a great Sunday everyone!!

RE:

Garance:

I don;t blame you for not doing Drill Max.. I still don;t know why I bought this DVD.. had pre-viewed it when we got the bad ones, then never opened it when the good ones came.. I got all 5 and I have only done a pre-mix from LIC.. don;t have any desire to even look at them! Too high impact and from what I see and hear, you need a lot of room for some of them and I don;t have that..

I might consider selling them on Ebay at some time.

Deb

RE:

Hi, Deb--

Actually, I rather like Drill Max, but with tons of modifications. I don't do the agility drill (which takes up tons of space and involves a lot of jumping), and substitute the drill with the big ball for that one. I also just squat instead of doing her plyometric moves and on the last drill, I do the squat thrusts, but don't leap at the end of them, and I am much slower on the fast running over and by the side of the step. I do high stepping marches instead of the high knee running. It's really not a bad routine if you are willing to modify almost all the impact moves. It goes by fast, too, because of the variety.

RE:

Garance, you sound just like me with Drill Max - and, in fact, most high impact moves. I am a modifying queen, and I think it's why I can do long videos without my knees screaming at me. As far as I'm concerned, if I'm sweating and breathing heavily, I must be getting pretty good aerobic benefits!

Now, if only Drill Max had decent music . . . grumble, grumble.

RE:

I am with you on the music in this last series by Cathe. The Body Blast series was really good by comparison.

If you are looking for some good music, try Gay Gasper's All Out Infused Step. The warm-up is to "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" and it's followed by a lot of hip-hop stuff and Latin rhythms. I really, really liked this music--made me want to MOVE to it. It's also a really good intermediate tape with an excellent abs section at the end.

RE:

I do the agility drills in Drill Max without the step. They are alot of fun. I get a great workout.

I modify, modify, modify

Rhonda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.