12-Week Beginner Mixed Rotation

desertmocha

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie here, and although I'm not new to exercising, I fell off the fitness bandwagon and am now completely out of shape :p. I just placed my order for Cathe's Basic Step, Low Impact Step, and Total Body Stretching DVD's this week, and I came up with this 12-week rotation for myself. I thought I'd post it here so that hopefully it may inspire others who may be a bit overwhelmed by all the Hardcore, Extreme, Make-You-Regret-the-Day-You-Were-Born rotations and DVD's :D.

I welcome all comments and suggestions for changes or additions. I wish all of you well on your fitness journeys!

Weeks 1-3
Monday: Basic Step
Tuesday: Upper Body Sculpt + Stability Ball Abs
Wednesday: Basic Step
Thursday: Lower Body Sculpt + Stability Ball Abs
Friday: Basic Step
Saturday: Upper Body Sculpt + Lower Body Sculpt + Stability Ball Abs
Sunday: Total Body Stretching (any segment)

Weeks 4-6
Monday: Basic Step
Tuesday: Body Fusion
Wednesday: Basic Step
Thursday: Body Fusion
Friday: Basic Step
Saturday: Upper Body Sculpt + Lower Body Sculpt + Stability Ball Abs

Weeks 7-9
Monday: Low Impact Step
Tuesday: Body Fusion
Wednesday: Low Impact Step
Thursday: Body Fusion
Friday: Low Impact Step
Saturday: Total Body Sculpting

Weeks 10-12
Monday: Low Impact Step
Tuesday: High Step Circuit
Wednesday: Low Impact Step
Thursday: High Impact Step
Friday: Low Impact Step
Saturday: Total Body Sculpting

P.S. Here's a generic format I had in mind when making the rotation, which offers a bit more flexibility for those with varying levels of progress. Remember to listen to your body and take days off and stretch or take an evening stroll as necessary.

Day 1: at least 30-minute cardio
Day 2: upper and/or lower body sculpting + abs OR circuit work OR total body sculpting (depending on your fitness level) OR rest/stretch
Day 3: at least 30-minute cardio
Day 4: upper and/or lower body sculpting + abs OR circuit work OR total body sculpting (depending on your fitness level) OR rest/stretch
Day 5: at least 30-minute cardio
Day 6: circuit work OR total body sculpting
Day 7: rest/stretch

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this! I was just about to ask for a "Bouce Back After Baby" rotation, and this one seems like it would fit the bill. Although I don't have the cardio workouts anymore, I do have the toning workouts. I can sub some other easier Cathe or Christy cardio to fill in.

Thanks!

This rotation looks really good and is similar to how I went about the Beginner Rotation with those DVDs. I followed, for the most part, Cathe's Beginner Rotation (somewhere on the forum) - and, have had great results in terms of strength, inches, etc. Not so much on weight - but, it will come. :)

The only "red flag" that I saw was in Weeks 7-9 and the introduction to Low Impact Step + the doubling up of Body Fusion - those back-to-back combinations are tough for a beginner. You may want to insert a Basic into 7-9 or introduce Low Impact/Body Fusion (for a total of two) prior to 7-9.

Just some things to think about...

Thanks for this rotation and your philosophy behind it - This will help alot of beginners.

I am on to developing a transition from beginner to intermediate rotation - wish me luck! Any advice would be appreciated.

Blessings,
Donna

High Step Circuit is a beg/int workout that helped me lose 11 lbs since May! I alternated that with some Turbo Jam and clean eating.

Give it a try! I highly recommend it!

I'm going to use some of the ideas from this rotation to get me through the rest of my pregnancy. I can no longer do the more challenging workouts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.