this " rotation" worked for me

sleepingmom

Cathlete
I’ve never had much success with rotations, and I have been struggling with my weight for over 25 years. Having said that, I decided to begin again in Jan 2006 trying to get in shape and lose some unwanted poundage. I created a rotation based on types of exercise not so much specific workouts. Anyway, it seems to have worked: I have lost 20 pounds since January, and I feel really good. SO, I thought I would share this rotation in the hopes that it might help someone else.

I have more time on the weekends, so I tend to exercise for a longer period of time then than during the week. Here goes:

Monday: 1 Core Max + Full hour of upper body weights. (PUB or timesaver GS BSB and GS CT). Note this is the day I rest my lower body.
Tuesday: Ab hits, interval cardio (an IMAX or IMAX extreme or LowMax)
Wednesday: Full body weights (eg. PH, ME, MM, MIS)
Thursday: 1 Core Max, steady cardio X 60min (I like the elliptical trainer)
Friday: Interval cardio (an IMAX etc) or a circuit workout (BC, a high step DVD, Viper, Gauntlet)
Saturday: 1 Core Max, steady cardio X 60 min, and 1 upper body weight session (I usually pick shoulders because that is my weakest part)
Sunday: Ab Hits, full hour of lower body weights (PLB, LandG, GS Legs), 3-5 mile walk or 45-60 mins on the elliptical trainer.

I don’t have any days that are totally off. I rest my lower body on Monday, and my upper body gets several days of rest (Tues, Thurs, Sun).

Anyway if you try it and like it, please let me know.

RE: this "rotaion" worked for me

Wow, that's awesome you've lost 20 pounds since Jan.! Congratulations!
What did you eat each day? Can you give us a sample menu?

I was curious about you working abs on consecutive days. I thought the same body part wasn't supposed to be worked on consecutive days.?

Thanks!

RE: this

Sure, I am happy to offer a sample menu. I tried very hard to avoid anything that contained white flour or was otherwise super refined (pasta, white bread, cookies, cake etc). I also aimed for about 1400 cals per day. Here is a sample of what I eat everyday:

Breakfast: a shake made from 1 banana, 1/3 c non fat dry milk, 1T cocoa, 1c unsweetened soy milk, 1 serving (40-60 cals) soft silken tofu, sweetener of choice, lots of crushed ice in a blender until smooth

Lunch: biggest chicken breast I can find (no skin) grilled, or with barbecue sauce, or sometimes I marinate it in a Greek style marinade, 1/2 cup quinoa (or other whole grain that you like), roasted vegies (a ton), piece of fruit (latest obsession is pineapple)

Mid afternoon snack: non-fat yogurt (I like Stoneyfield) with a piece of fruit; or a Zone bar, or a high fiber tortilla with 2t peanut butter and 1 t fruit spread (or a few dried apricots); if I am having a chocolate attack, I have non-fat choc pudding.

Dinner: enormous salad with lettuces, spinach, olives, leeks, fennel, pepperoncini peppers, tomatoes, whatever...and protein of choice..current favorite is Asian style salmon.

I try to drink a lot of water, but having to go to the bathroom constantly is disruptive to my work (anesthesiologist). No eating after dinner. Also, if I must have dessert, I limit it to every other day and then I choose a Weight Watchers giant chocolate fudge bar.

The sad truth FOR ME is that I basically had to reconcile myself to the fact that I need to walk around somewhat hungry in order to loose weight. If I feel full, I probabaly have overeaten. Also, I weigh myself every day...keeps me focused on the goal.

I hope this helps.

Sorry, I forgot to answer the question about working my abs often. I exercise very early in the morning (4 am range), and the ab work at the beginning of my workout lets me lay down for a few more minutes...honestly the thought of being able to lay down for 10-15 minutes longer actually makes getting up so early somewhat bearable. I tend to choose the shorter segments of ab hits because the Core Max segs are longer. I have not found working my abs to be a problem, and I like how my abs feel tight and some days slightly sore.

RE: kind words

Thanks for the kind words.

I lost another 4 pounds, so I am swimsuit (Tankini not Bikini) ready for a vacation in a few days. I have been sticking to the plan I already posted, and to my amazement, am still losing fairly consistently. Work has been unbelievably stressful lately, but instead of eating as I did in the past, I have cut down on eating a bit. Honestly, it pi------ off my boss when she sees me lose weight, so I am motivated by that (I know that is a mean thing to say, but honest nonetheless).

Another thing I have done, is stop calling myself names. I realized that I was absolutely brutal to myself when I slipped on my eating plan or skipped a workout. I called myself names I would call anyone else. So, I stopped doing that....psychologically, it has really helped. Good luck to you (all) in your fitness goals. Each of us has strength to tackles challenges at different times in our lives. Do what you can, when you can and be proud.

RE: kind words

Hello Smom

I very much enjoyed reading your rotation. I've decided I'm going to give it a try. I'm on the third day into the rotation and I like the way it allows a little flexibility in workout DVDs. I'm going to swap either one of the steady cardio sessions or the Sunday walk for a yoga/stretch workout. Apart from that I'm going to follow it to the letter.

Also your diet is very interesting although here in the UK some of the foods you are eating are difficult to get. I will try to modify and eat clean. Congratulations on your weight loss, you must be very proud of yourself.

I'll let yoy know how I get on.

Thanks again for sharing your rotation.

Love
Laura :)

What's funny is that your rotation reminds me a lot of a rotation in this month's Oxygen Magazine. For fat loss they're recommending a rotation that looks like this:

Day 1: Upper body weights
Day 2: Interval cardio
Day 3: Steady State cardio
Day 4: Lower body weights
Day 5: Interval cardio
Day 6: Steady State cardio
Day 7: rest

looks like you figured it out yourself! Way to go! and keep up the great work!

Jamie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.